Car door hinges squeek, what do i put on them? WD40 or some other oil?

Is it not rather difficult to get grease into the hinge pin while it is in-situ?

I suspect the squeak may be coming from the door check-strap. If it's like my Astra's then you have to squirt some WD 40 onto its anchor point just inside the slot in the door between the hinges.

I'll try WD40 first as i have some, but if i dont, where would i get this kinda grease from? know any product names?

The copper (Coppaslip) and moly grease (Molyslip) can be gotten from any car spares, possibly from some supermarkets, in toothpaste style tubes. If you use the black moly-grease, avoid getting any on your fingers and definately not your clothes as it can be difficult to wash off. Apply with protective gloves. If you live near S6 I'll give you some.

I'll try WD40 first as i have some, but if i dont, where would i get this kinda grease from? know any product names?

As carosio says, most places sell it but Winzer Wurth make an excellent aerosol version of the copper grease with one of those small pipes like on WD40 to penetrate difficult to get to areas (such as hinges). Not sure where you'd get it from though as I'm not in the trade anymore. WD40 is one of the most brilliant things ever invented with loads of uses, it will certainly free up a corroded hinge but it doesn't really lubricate it. Try it though! :)

Archived