Does Hypnosis Actually Work?

A study done in around 1993 on 72,000 people who stopped smoking found that hypnotherapy is the most effective way of stopping smoking. If you have multiple sessions of hypnotherapy to quit smoking you have an up to 85% chance of success according to that study. I think it was printed in the Journal Of Applied Psychology.

LOL, could it be a biased study then?

Only joking, good advert for you though this thread!

Just think, now people will ring you for help!

Nope Spooky3, you couldn't be more wrong actually...

The study was a meta-analysis so it was actually an amalgamation of many other studies done in the field of quitting smoking. These studies looked at many different methods of stopping and many different combinations of methods. Because the study is a meta analysis it is less likely to be biased than a single study. It is a study often quoted by hypnotherapists because it is a well conducted study, with a large sample group of people from different areas of Europe and America and was printed in a respected journal.

I mentioned it to help answer the question "Does hypnosis actually work?" because a lot of the time these conversations tend to be among people who have had hypnotherapy and those who haven't but rarely do people who are hypnotherapy practitioners offer their take on the conversation. Hopefully my comments will add something to the question being asked.

If people would like to call me as a result they would be very welcome of course! ;)

Wondering if it actually works, say for example if i had a fear of spiders, could i be hypnotised and made to overcome my fear forever?

It didn't work on me, but it definitely works on some people. I'm not sure it is suitable for dealing with phobias. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy has a very high success rate for things like that.

Nope Spooky3, you couldn't be more wrong actually...

The study was a meta-analysis so it was actually an amalgamation of many other studies done in the field of quitting smoking. These studies looked at many different methods of stopping and many different combinations of methods. Because the study is a meta analysis it is less likely to be biased than a single study. It is a study often quoted by hypnotherapists because it is a well conducted study, with a large sample group of people from different areas of Europe and America and was printed in a respected journal.

I mentioned it to help answer the question "Does hypnosis actually work?" because a lot of the time these conversations tend to be among people who have had hypnotherapy and those who haven't but rarely do people who are hypnotherapy practitioners offer their take on the conversation. Hopefully my comments will add something to the question being asked.

If people would like to call me as a result they would be very welcome of course! ;)

Personally, just from what is expected from me at my level of education, need to be sceptical of a single source of research, especially from a source with a bias, which it has (an article about how good applied psychology is in an applied psychology journal). Personally i'd like at least 5 sources, some for, some against, but some at least by independent sources (quangos?).

However, my personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that hypnotherapy can work!

I stopped smoking useing self hypnosis it really does work most

hypnosis is self hypnosis...auto suggestion.go and get a good book on it, and keep away from the shonks who'll just focus on your pocket,

That's what I did. (NLP)

It's common sense really, a bit of ol' mind over matter!

It didn't work on me, but it definitely works on some people. I'm not sure it is suitable for dealing with phobias. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy has a very high success rate for things like that.

you've got to be very relaxed donkey for it to work.when your relaxed your subconscious becomes open to suggestion it either accepts or rejects not like the conscious mind which rationalises if you out weigh the positive affirmations against the negetives it works useing your willpower in a passive way...

That's what I did. (NLP)

It's common sense really, a bit of ol' mind over matter!

yes I'd try'd meditation and all kinds of things but this was the only thing that worked .I just found it hard getting into that state of mind were you can give suggestions to the sub conscious but when the subconscious accepted the reasons I wanted to stop I just stopped .it makes you realise your the one in charge of your self.

yes I'd try'd meditation and all kinds of things but this was the only thing that worked .I just found it hard getting into that state of mind were you can give suggestions to the sub conscious but when the subconscious accepted the reasons I wanted to stop I just stopped .it makes you realise your the one in charge of your self.

mmm, buy a book, and read a chapter at least once a week in a nice warm soothing hot bath. Don't do too much, then close eyes and think it through...

mmm, buy a book, and read a chapter at least once a week in a nice warm soothing hot bath. Don't do too much, then close eyes and think it through...

sounds good ,the way it worked for me was keeping the afirmations short and not complex and I did late at night when Iwas Tired for about aweek then one morning I got up and did;nt feel like one that was 20 years ago.

Archived