Bad back.Any helpful advice?

So i've had a bad back since March.

I've had physio but to be fair they were rubbish. Everytime i went they spent no more than 15minutes with me.

I have Sciatica down my left leg and i can't sleep properly.

The doctor gave me some painkillers but they don't seem to be working. The doctor said keeping working and be more ative but I'm constantly in pain and feel spaced out from the pain killers.

Anyone got any useful advice?

some back stretches are usefull,they release tension and inflamation on the lumber muscles in the lower back.

lay flat,stretch left leg out flat,pull your right leg up untill your right ankle meets your left knee,and with your right hand stretch your right bent leg over your left knee untill it pulls your right hip off the floor,hold for 10 seconds,repeat by doing same to the opposite side.........repeat 3 or 4 times per side

treat with anti inflamatory drugs,to ease swelling in the muscle,naproxen bieng the most common.

painkiller rarely works,ordinary paracetamol as good as anything.

x-ray,if pain is prolonged and persistent

long term,lower back building muscle excersise are extremley beneficial

some back stretches are usefull,they release tension and inflamation on the lumber muscles in the lower back.

lay flat,stretch left leg out flat,pull your right leg up untill your right ankle meets your left knee,and with your right hand stretch your right bent leg over your left knee untill it pulls your right hip off the floor,hold for 10 seconds,repeat by doing same to the opposite side.........repeat 3 or 4 times per side

treat with anti inflamatory drugs,to ease swelling in the muscle,naproxen bieng the most common.

painkiller rarely works,ordinary paracetamol as good as anything.

x-ray,if pain is prolonged and persistent

long term,lower back building muscle excersise are extremley beneficial

Thank you for the advice.

I've already been for physio but it hasn't really helped.

Will add those exercises to my list though.

My advice would be two fold; first find yourself a really good osteopath or chiropracter (whichever suits your back more- my back takes gentle manipulation only so I'm better with osteopathy) and then when you've got that a little bit under control you need to start changing your life to a back friendly life.

This includes everything from general exercise to specific back strengthening and back stretching exercises (gym, swimming, walking etc) to changing how you do things around the house and then to top it off get yourself to a really decent yoga class with a very experienced teacher. I am a huge believer in Iyengar yoga and go to a therapeutic class where everyone does their own routine which is individually designed for those with health problems.

One of the problems with long term sciatica is that you are at risk of getting more and more asymmetrical because of the sciatica pain in one side, which won't help your recovery in the long term and can change the long term balance of your back which produces different and uneven wear on the hip and leg joints if you don't address the whole situation.

The aim of all of the exercises is to bring your body back into proper symmetrical alignment, which may not seem important to you when you're in pain, but believe me, it's incredibly important. Lying down, which used to be seen as treatment of choice for back pain, actually facilitates the asymmetry process in the long run and makes it more likely that you will injure your back further once your back muscles are weakened through lack of use.

Very gentle exercises to strengthen the lower back, stomach and other torso muscles are beneficial to almost everybody, me included even with my major spinal abnormalities. The overall aims of the exercises are two fold, both to support the spine properly with torso muscles and to use your muscles to pull your spine back into being symmetrical in your body, which will reduce the pressure on your spinal cord on the side that has sciatica.

I know that hitting the gym seems like exactly what you don't want to do, but finding a good ostepath (I see Lisa Halse at the Lodge House in Walkley) or chiropracter and starting a serious swimming programme if you can should set you up for some improvements which you can build upon by further exercises.

I hope you're feeling more in control and so getting less pain soon.

I started with a bad back a year ago and it kept getting worse and worse.

I tried physio/rest which did nothing. I then saw a chiropractor for lots of treatments. All my back was locked and out of line and my pelvis was all twisted. The chiropractor helped to a certain degree, but never fully made it right. I stopped going and started with Amatsu treatment which is all about balancing your body and treating the body as a whole. I have to say I have been over the moon with the results. If a little freaked out, the pain and discomfort has gone after 2 sessions. I feel like I did before I started with all the problems.

I would always recommend somebody to try it, I was sceptical, but I can't argue with the results and at the end of the day if it doesn't work at least it has been tried.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

If your pain is keeping you awake at night that could also be made worse by either your bed or your sleeping position. Could your bed be due for being replaced?

Whether you've got a good bed or not, sleeping position can be really important for back pain sufferers. If you're sleeping on your back then raising your knees by putting a decent pillow under your knees can help reduce the pressure on your lower back and the pain, and if you're sleeping on your side a pillow between your legs from knee to ankle will also reduce the twisting on your spine whilst you sleep caused by posture.

Don't sleep on your front or on your side with your upper knee on the bed (rather than on your other knee) as this significantly compresses one side of your spine.

You can also change the strain on the lower part of your back by changing your pillow and head position, surprisingly. A decent supportive pillow which you use to support the arc of your neck and have your head held straight as you sleep (it's quite natural for sleepers to bring their head down towards their chest whether sleeping on your front or side and that's not very good for your lower back) so that's another less expensive thing to look at. I don't use a standard pillow at all any more- I go all out for support and use a buckwheat husk pillow instead, which is less comfortable but much more supportive and I get a lot less neck and upper back aches since using it. Not to be recommended for anyone who likes a nice fluffy pillow though ;)

If your pain is keeping you awake at night that could also be made worse by either your bed or your sleeping position. Could your bed be due for being replaced?

Whether you've got a good bed or not, sleeping position can be really important for back pain sufferers. If you're sleeping on your back then raising your knees by putting a decent pillow under your knees can help reduce the pressure on your lower back and the pain, and if you're sleeping on your side a pillow between your legs from knee to ankle will also reduce the twisting on your spine whilst you sleep caused by posture.

Don't sleep on your front or on your side with your upper knee on the bed (rather than on your other knee) as this significantly compresses one side of your spine.

You can also change the strain on the lower part of your back by changing your pillow and head position, surprisingly. A decent supportive pillow which you use to support the arc of your neck and have your head held straight as you sleep (it's quite natural for sleepers to bring their head down towards their chest whether sleeping on your front or side and that's not very good for your lower back) so that's another less expensive thing to look at. I don't use a standard pillow at all any more- I go all out for support and use a buckwheat husk pillow instead, which is less comfortable but much more supportive and I get a lot less neck and upper back aches since using it. Not to be recommended for anyone who likes a nice fluffy pillow though ;)

Actually I've just ordered a new bed, I needed a new one anyway and the physio recommended it. And I do use pillows for support. I'm going to the doctors again tonight, but from everything that you have posted I think I have all the infomation I need.

Thank you

Archived