Does anyone know the history of the Bole Hills?

Mandem

I grew up on Cobden View Road at Crookes in the fifties and I loved it. Cobden View had a close knit community with a good neighbourly atmosphere. We lived at number 51 when it was a general grocery shop run by my mother. My father worked in insurance but helped in the shop at the weekend. I remember his skill at boning a side of bacon then slicing it on the hand turned bacon slicer. Butter and lard came in large blocks which had to be weighed out and wrapped in greaseproof paper. Vinegar was sold from a wooden barrel with a tap and customers would bring there own bottle or container to be filled. We also sold sweets, ice cream and lollies !! (I seem to recall having plenty of friends round at the time!) I remember many of the family names of Cobden View in the fifties. Bellamy, Gosney, Barker, Ward, Harrison, Spooner, France, Cookson, Warrell, Houson, Bilton, Russell, Roddis, Worth, Wragg, Watkinson, Moffitt and many more. Any of you out there ? Anyone remember sledging on what was locally known as the 'bombed buildings' and the November the 5th bonfire on 'The Tip' opposite ? Happy days!

The names i dont remember as i lived at the top end but the bonfires i do and sledging,i was 5 in 1947 and we could sledge all the way down Coden View rd turn left down side of bombed houses and come out on Western Rd and right then left down Mona Ave to school .

• 5 months later...

i can remember spending many hours playing on the bole hills in the park and climbing on the rocks with my cousins when our families all gathered at my grandparents victoria and james morfitt (known as tora and boy) they lived at the top of longfield road for many years until there home was destroyed by a fire

I grew up on Cobden View Road at Crookes in the fifties and I loved it. Cobden View had a close knit community with a good neighbourly atmosphere. We lived at number 51 when it was a general grocery shop run by my mother. My father worked in insurance but helped in the shop at the weekend. I remember his skill at boning a side of bacon then slicing it on the hand turned bacon slicer. Butter and lard came in large blocks which had to be weighed out and wrapped in greaseproof paper. Vinegar was sold from a wooden barrel with a tap and customers would bring there own bottle or container to be filled. We also sold sweets, ice cream and lollies !! (I seem to recall having plenty of friends round at the time!) I remember many of the family names of Cobden View in the fifties. Bellamy, Gosney, Barker, Ward, Harrison, Spooner, France, Cookson, Warrell, Houson, Bilton, Russell, Roddis, Worth, Wragg, Watkinson, Moffitt and many more. Any of you out there ? Anyone remember sledging on what was locally known as the 'bombed buildings' and the November the 5th bonfire on 'The Tip' opposite ? Happy days!

Good to see you on the forum again John. Hope you are well.

Geoff

I remember as a child reading a plaque on the Bole Hills stating that it was a gift to the people of Sheffield for recreational and leisure purposes, but I can't remember by whom. I also read on the net that the Council purchased the Bole Hills in 1886, but does anyone know who from, and does it still belong to the people of Sheffield, and if so, should the plaque be re-erected so future generations will know who it was donated by, and when. The plaque also stated the number of acres that this person had left. It seems such a marvellous gift to the people of Sheffield, that the person should be recognised.

plaque gone missing ? i have noticed over the years that the large signs that used to hang close to the gates of our parks telling who granted the land for the parks to the people of sheffield have also gone missing,is it i wonder, a case of out of sight out of mind ?,the council may be hoping that we forget that such land was granted to us, the public ,and in later years claim it for building on

• 2 weeks later...

more on this subject can be found in a thread started some 18 mths ago under western road sch, crookes area. I have a friend of 91yrs who lived on bole hills and tried to find any one of the area who attended W/R/S in the late 20 30 but had no luck so far for her.

• 3 months later...

A 1902 map shows the Bole Hills, to the west, to be divided into six plots of land; with the footpath from the Cocked Hat cottages running from Tinker Lane through the eastern side of just the first two of them. The footpath emerges northwards from these at a point parallel with Loxley View Road. The footpath then enters undulating ground known as Bole Hill Quarries. The fields have no indication of ever being quarried, so I'm assuming it was extended to that area following the year 1902. The acreage of the six plots was, from south to north, 1.742, 2.806, 1.078, .996, 1.239 and 2.890

The map also shows a quarry at the back of the Cocked Hat Cottages and another at the top of Stannington View Road.