Does anyone know the history of the Bole Hills?

Mandem

Yes, I remember it, but I never went in. I remember the cats though, you could see them through the window. Is that where the fire was last week? Was anyone hurt do you know? And what sort of condition is it in? Ta.

I 'Heard' the bottom flat (shop) was gutted and two people had gone to hospital but I think a narrow escape all round. I can't confirm.

I 'Heard' the bottom flat (shop) was gutted and two people had gone to hospital but I think a narrow escape all round. I can't confirm.

Thanks I just hope it is insured? I tried to get that way to go to work about 6:30am but the road was blocked with two police cars.

• 7 months later...
I remember as a child reading a plaque on the Bole Hills stating that it was a gift to the people of Sheffield for recreational and leisure purposes, but I can't remember by whom. I also read on the net that the Council purchased the Bole Hills in 1886, but does anyone know who from, and does it still belong to the people of Sheffield, and if so, should the plaque be re-erected so future generations will know who it was donated by, and when. The plaque also stated the number of acres that this person had left. It seems such a marvellous gift to the people of Sheffield, that the person should be recognised.

I've done some research and see that the Bole Hills was a quarried for sandstone in 1855. The quarry was almost surrounded by fields. In 1894 the quarry was a little larger and still almost surrounded by fields. Two of the fields were named Long field and Nether field. Eventually the boundaries of these fields became roads - Longfield Road and Netherfield Road. It seems reasonable to me to assume that the quarry was given over by the owner at that time. Find the owner of the quarry and you've probably got the name you're looking for.

I've done some research and see that the Bole Hills was a quarried for sandstone in 1855. The quarry was almost surrounded by fields. In 1894 the quarry was a little larger and still almost surrounded by fields. Two of the fields were named Long field and Nether field. Eventually the boundaries of these fields became roads - Longfield Road and Netherfield Road. It seems reasonable to me to assume that the quarry was given over by the owner at that time. Find the owner of the quarry and you've probably got the name you're looking for.

Easy the quarry was one of Andrews quarries, I think there were a few about.

There was a quarry entrance on Bole Hill road to the right of the school as you face it from the road. It was all tipped over between about 1959 and 1968, when the council used the old quarry, which had been tipped on over the previous 30 or 40 years, for tipping bin lorries.

There is a chance the block of terraced houses opposite the entrance, 120 to128 Bole Hill Road were built by the quarry owner, for his workers, they were built around the turn of the century, and demolished in around 1967/8, just west of the houses was another little tip of stone waste probably from the quarry.

There was a spoil heap at the edge of the quarry , the camels hump.

Back to the point, the quarryman didn't necessarily own the land, he may have paid a royalty to the owner, probably a farmer, or the duke of Norfolk or someone similar.

Easy the quarry was one of Andrews quarries, I think there were a few about.

There was a quarry entrance on Bole Hill road to the right of the school as you face it from the road. It was all tipped over between about 1959 and 1968, when the council used the old quarry, which had been tipped on over the previous 30 or 40 years, for tipping bin lorries.

There is a chance the block of terraced houses opposite the entrance, 120 to128 Bole Hill Road were built by the quarry owner, for his workers, they were built around the turn of the century, and demolished in around 1967/8, just west of the houses was another little tip of stone waste probably from the quarry.

There was a spoil heap at the edge of the quarry , the camels hump.

Back to the point, the quarryman didn't necessarily own the land, he may have paid a royalty to the owner, probably a farmer, or the duke of Norfolk or someone similar.

Interestingly I once read somewhere that the duke was the second largest owner of land in Sheffield after the council.

its regarding quote 18, Mr.Unwin. what land did Mr. Unwin own because in 1907 the council used "UNWINS FIELD" for some reason. can anyone help?.

I wrote post 18 and I don't know the answer to your question. The only thing I do know is that Mr. Unwin told me his family used to grow corn for the horses behind the cottages, that is fact, so I am assuming that was Unwins Field. The other fact is that about 2 meters from the cottages is a tarmac path leading from Bole Hill Lane going towards the bowling greens. That is also fact.

Now putting two and two together and probably making five I can only assume the council put the path across Mr Unwins Field.

I don't know if that makes any sense to you but the "Field" would have been extremely small if it only went as far as the path. Like I say I am only guessing.

In the fifties my dad had an allotment at the end of Bole Hill Rd, past Tinker Lane, down the hill and up the otherside, then left up a path at the brow of the hill, A footpath then ran up to the back of the houses on St Anthonies (spelling) Rd.

rent was 13 shillings a year I think, this was I'm sure paid to Mr Unwin, who I thought lived on Bradley St. I also went with him to a house at the bottom of Cobden View, below the pub on the other side, so perhaps that was Unwins