Trying to close HSBC bank account of late father.

damo

My Father passed away in October last year.

Since then we have been dealing with HSBC trying to close his bank account and pay off the creditors of the estate.

HSBC sent a form for me to fill in listing the amounts he owed on credit cards etc which I did however they say they never received it so we had to go into the bank and do it again.

HSBC are saying that because he had a credit card with them that any money left over after the funeral costs will be paid to the HSBC credit card account from his HSBC bank account and that we will have to get the other creditors to write off the debt owed to them.

This seems completely wrong to me and I don't understand how HSBC can decide that we can pay them but no one else.

Can anyone offer any help or advice on what to do?

I suspect they'll be covered somewhere. My guess would be that as they have the funds in one of their accounts, any debt elsewhere within their group must be settled before any surplus is released. Seems sensible practice. Best bet would be to pop in and see them and seek clarification on what's happening.

There will be a “pecking” order to his estate and I would have thought outstanding bills would come before a family free for all, sorry to be so blunt.

There is a pecking order and it's not a case of us wanting the money we want to pay all of the estates debts and I find your comment quite rude.

HSBC credit card would be one of the final expenses to be paid in that list

I suspect they'll be covered somewhere. My guess would be that as they have the funds in one of their accounts, any debt elsewhere within their group must be settled before any surplus is released. Seems sensible practice. Best bet would be to pop in and see them and seek clarification on what's happening.

There'll be a pecking order and I doubt that HSBC will be at the top.....unpaid tax and stuff like that will take precedence I suppose...

There is a pecking order and it's not a case of us wanting the money we want to pay all of the estates debts and I find your comment quite rude.

Sorry you feel that way but having recently had dealings with probate I can see what you have to come.

HSBC credit card would be one of the final expenses to be paid in that list

What gives you the right to say who gets paid first …… that’s a genuine question by the way?

There'll be a pecking order and I doubt that HSBC will be at the top.....unpaid tax and stuff like that will take precedence I suppose...
Yep, probate will sort out any regulatory debts first, but if HSBC have say £2k in account A but a debt of £1k owed to account B, I'm sure they'd combine them and only release a surplus of £1k in discharging their responsibility.

Archived