Atheists fail to riot at threat to burn The God Delusion

The fact that atheists failed to riot over the burning of the book can only be seen as silent acknowledgement of its flawed and worthless content.

The fact that I failed to riot over the terrorism of Sept 11th then - does that mean that's my silent acknowledgement that terrorism is fine?

Or in a world of people who aren't out to prove a point, does it mean that I'm aware that rioting does very little and isn't a valid mechanism for effecting change?

Just to add, I wouldn't riot over someone burning anything that didn't endanger people. If someone wants to burn the bible, the quran, any of the other religious books, a Dawkins book, Lord of the Rings, the Yellow Pages, a UK or US flag, a picture of someone I know, whatever, I really don't care. You'd have to be a total cretin to think that meant that I was devalung those things. A sensible person would clearly see that they're material objects, and not worth rioting about.

But... that's exactly what you do every time you quote from the Bible...

You may think it's fact, but a massive amount of the world disagree with you.

It is amazing how much ignorance I see on this forum alone, and remember there is a lot of archaeology that proves the Biblical account.

I'm convinced most of it is due to prejudice.

The fact that I failed to riot over the terrorism of Sept 11th then - does that mean that's my silent acknowledgement that terrorism is fine?

Or in a world of people who aren't out to prove a point, does it mean that I'm aware that rioting does very little and isn't a valid mechanism for effecting change?

People are very ready to march or protest about things that either affect them personally or they feel very strongly about. The point is a lot of atheists do feel very strongly about the subject as we saw by the presence of Richard Dawkin and his followers in London this week during the Pope's visit.

It is amazing how much ignorance I see on this forum alone, and remember there is a lot of archaeology that proves the Biblical account.

I'm convinced most of it is due to prejudice.

Most theists believe the earth to be aged in the thousands of years.

It is clear from ALL scientific evidence that the earth is billions of years old.

People are very ready to march or protest about things that either affect them personally or they feel very strongly about. The point is a lot of atheists do feel very strongly about the subject as we saw by the presence of Richard Dawkin and his followers in London this week during the Pope's visit.

Anyone who riots, and let's be honest, a riot is a criminal offence, over the burning of a book, is mental. It's a book. Get over it. If it's your book, buy another copy.

There's feeling strongly about something such as the waste of £10-20m on a visit from the leader of the paedophiles, which has implications in a debt ridden country, and then there's a book, which is, after all A BOOK! Anyone who commits a criminal act and riots over the latter is a lunatic.

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

So...everything, all the herbs and stuff, that God created are "very good".

Excellent, God endorses me smoking weed.

Anyone who riots, and let's be honest, a riot is a criminal offence, over the burning of a book, is mental. It's a book. Get over it. If it's your book, buy another copy.

There's feeling strongly about something such as the waste of £10-20m on a visit from the leader of the paedophiles, which has implications in a debt ridden country, and then there's a book, which is, after all A BOOK! Anyone who commits a criminal act and riots over the latter is a lunatic.

Seeing as Jesus told us to obey our earthly masters, I agree with you, but I speak as a practising Christian.

Archived