Atheists fail to riot at threat to burn The God Delusion

That doesn't answer my question.

(summary) Everything god created was very good. God created cannabis, opiates, magic mushrooms. THey're "very good", therefore they must be ok to use.

Also - we must keep to the commandments - what if my mother or father commits a crime? Do I honour them, and stick to the commandments, or report them, and honour our earthly masters? Who wins? God or law?

God created cannabis for cows and not people. It is a little known fact. He made the mushrooms so that ants could shelter under them in the rain. Being all-knowing, he saw that our government would eventually turn them into Class As but he wanted to provide depth and moral dilemma to our existance beyond slaughtering other tribes and taking slaves.

There are people out there who believe the word of the bible literally and I reflect on what laws they would invoke given the choice. I expect it would head towards radical Islam where people are killed for doing things we take for granted.

Imagine, no abortion, no gay rights or lefts. Sanctioning slavery and the beating of slaves. Rape victims having to marry their abusers. Parents being able to kill their children if they disrespect them and much much more. How do these people assimilate the word of god with modern living?

Perhaps it is more righteous than the apologists who explain away large parts of the bible. It's either the word of god or it isn't.

I do better that that, I'm celibate. It can be done and although I'm not a Catholic the Pope is right to advise celibacy or alternitivly the easy way and the right way is to only have one partner for life.

Who are you to say what's right for someone else? The reality is that there are a million different ways to live a person's life and whether you have one partner or a thousand, you, nor anyone else, will be in a position to criticise.

Being celibate or having one sexual partner for life does NOT make a person any more virtuous than someone who has had countless partners. The world isn't nearly that black and white (except maybe in your world).

It might be that clean cut in your mind, but again, you'd be horribly horribly wrong and you really need to get a bit more life experience before making such scathing judgements about how other people should live their lives.

Who are you to say what's right for someone else? The reality is that there are a million different ways to live a person's life and whether you have one partner or a thousand, you, nor anyone else, will be in a position to criticise.

Being celibate or having one sexual partner for life does NOT make a person any more virtuous than someone who has had countless partners. The world isn't nearly that black and white (except maybe in your world).

It might be that clean cut in your mind, but again, you'd be horribly horribly wrong and you really need to get a bit more life experience before making such scathing judgements about how other people should live their lives.

I wasn't talking about being virtuous, I was thinking more about the risk of getting AIDS.

I wasn't talking about being virtuous, I was thinking more about the risk of getting AIDS.

You clearly said "right" way. STDs have been around for countless years and I know countless people who have picked up something after just one encounter...

As I said: there's no right way to live and sex is an integral part of life.

You clearly said "right" way. STDs have been around for countless years and I know countless people who have picked up something after just one encounter...

As I said: there's no right way to live and sex is an integral part of life.

I meant the "right" way to stay healthy. As you say people can pick up something after just one encounter so forming a partnership for life looks like the best way forward?

However this is off topic.

There isn't a right way to stay healthy. Life deals out all kinds of crap to people on a regular basis and a healthy body doesn't necessarily mean a healthy mind.

On that subject...

While this may slightly be off topic, the last few posts are pretty revealing about the minds of people who are posting on these threads and claiming to find meaning in the lack of atheist response to book burning...

What isn't healthy is telling people how to live their lives as though you have enough life experience to make that judgement call.

I meant the "right" way to stay healthy. As you say people can pick up something after just one encounter so forming a partnership for life looks like the best way forward?

However this is off topic.

What about those people (more often than not women) who are in a partnership and contract the virus from their partner, who has either had extra-marital sex or, is in a culture where polygamy is practised?

What about those people (more often than not women) who are in a partnership and contract the virus from their partner, who has either had extra-marital sex or, is in a culture where polygamy is practised?

As a woman you shall be stoned to death...just because you're a woman.

So if jesus was a judge at the Nuremberg trials, he would have been ok with the "I was following orders" defence?

There you go folks, according to grahame, and his interpretation of christianity, you can do ANYTHING you want, as long as you can get someone to tell you to do it.

....or repent.

Archived