Jeffcock name in Sheffield

There was a grocery shop near the chip shop on Leppings Lane run by an Ernest Jeffcock and his wife for a number of years.

In the daytime Ernest worked as a machinist at the River Don Steelworks.

I hope this info helps.

Happy Days

Thank you everyone for your replies regarding Jeffcocks in Sheffield.

I have a lot about the Jeffcock who ran the fishing coaches.

I also have a lot of info on his family going back in time.

I would love to know more though about the Harold Jeffcock who managed the Attercliffe Palais de Danse above Websters Furniture.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The lad from park hill was William [billy] Jeffcock his father was Steve a small guy who was always whistling and singing but they were never publicans. I am sure the family have always lived in the park district in fact some still do, so they are probably the same family.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember Mr. Jeffcock from the seventies, (he lived, not exactly opposite the water tower, but right on the roundabout at the top of Blackstock Rd). He had a taxi, and used to drive my grandmother back and forth to hillsborough. His garage was also covered in hand painted slogans such as..

Bring back the Cat, and Bring back Hanging., but he was the only taxi driver that my Grandmother would use.

Particularly liked the slogan that said "the blood of this government is three times weaker than horse ****" he certainly was a character and booted me up the backside more than once for poaching in the pond on 'baggies' land.

William Jeffcock lies in the fact that in 1843, he became the very first Mayor of Sheffield.

Does this mean that if Sheffield became a City in 1893, with a Lord Mayor, that we went from no status at all in 1843, without even a Mayor, to being a City in the space of 50 years?

Or am I misreading the info? :confused: