"Cat's Died" - Meaning Of

It means your trousers are flying half-mast, probably to mourn your dead pet. It's not just a Sheffield term. I first heard it in Manchester.

me too, but in manc it's usually 'who's died?' as I remember - mainly aimed at poor kids whose parents couldn't fund new kecks after a growth spurt

'Charlie's dead' for when a girls underskirts are showing.....hails from back when charles II

died as he was a 'ladies man' the girls showed their underskirts as a sign of respect.

My Granddad always used to say "it's snowing in australia" to my Grandma if her underskirt was showing :hihi:

• 2 years later...
My Granddad always used to say "it's snowing in australia" to my Grandma if her underskirt was showing :hihi:

another saying my mum used to say to me " has your'e socks gone to bed" whenever they had fell down.:)

We always used to say either "Charlie's Dead" or "It's snowing down south".

Re the socks : We always used to say " our socks had gone to sleep "

Never heard the saying " Cat's died "

I seem to remember using the term 'Charlie's Dead' which I think meant that a girl's underskirt was showing. Haven't used or heard this term for well over 50 years.

We used to say this too and then add "can i come to the funeral?,which we considered risque all those innocent years ago.

Archived