Did anyone go to Top Rank Sat mornings/afternoons in late 60's early 70's

Patsue

I used to live in Attercliffe and used to go to top Rank starting on Sat mornings and then afternoons. Used to go with a crowd from Newhall Road end. Daltons name comes to mind, but cant remember the other names, if anyone else can remember them would like to know.:help:

Hi Patsue,

Sorry I cant help you with the names of your friends as I didnt live in Attercliffe, but I did use to go to the Top Rank with my mates on Saturday afternoons and on Tuesday nights. Do you remember that song they always use to play that started off:

' oh the path was deep and wide from footsteps leading to our cabin, above the door there stood a burning lamp, and late at night an hand would knock and there would stand a stranger - yes it was the son of Hickory Hollers tramp ' another song they played a lot was Wooly Bully.......energetic stuff to dance to, had a right sweat on having danced to that one.

Didnt know at the time, but before she met me - my wife use to go there, she use to live in Attercliffe near to what was once a picture palace ( or what we now call cinema ).

I used to go to Top Rank on a Sat morning & lived in Attercliffe :D The 'Daltons' lived in the next yard to us. Can vividly remember wearing my Fred Perry polo shirt & the vivid uv lights which made your white shirt ultra bright. Rockin Robin & Norman Greenbaum 'Spirit in the Sky' doing all the actions to it :hihi: Peter Kay does it in his stand up & Gawd it's so funny & so true. Wooly Bully 'Mattie told Hattiie bout a thing she saw, two big horns & a wooly jaw Wooly Bully' :loopy: so energetic & we really got some speed up towards end of it. Happy Times :banana:

use to go sat mornins & afternoons & yeah tuesdays, use to have that crushed flavoured ice, do the wooly bully & remember everybody singing" hey hey hey i,m sexy" to EDWIN STARS ...S.O.S. but what was the song where everyone sat on the floor in a line and swayed back & forth & side to side???? good old days

Remember another song which was a favourite at the Top Rank Tuesday nights and Saturday afternoons, does anyone else remember it ?

Chorus went like this: 'shake it, shake it shake it shake it, shake it...baby, here we go loop de loop shake it up baby.....here we go loop de lye - bend over let me see your tail feather. Wife reminded me of another two songs which use to be played a lot: The Harlem Shuffle and Soul Finger.......you could wooly bully to this one as well.

Since the closure of Northern Soul Nights at Ponds Forge and the KGB on Abbeydale Road does anyone know of any other good venues where Northern Soul is played and you can have a rave up ?

• 4 weeks later...

I remember all those songs and yeah I too wore Fred Perry Shirts with Stay-press trousers and Trevira Coats and Crombies of course, not forgetting the Bata Shoes. You probably knew Robert Cooper too, he used to hang around with Alan Dalton and Alan Burgin.

Remember another song which was a favourite at the Top Rank Tuesday nights and Saturday afternoons, does anyone else remember it ?

Chorus went like this: 'shake it, shake it shake it shake it, shake it...baby, here we go loop de loop shake it up baby.....here we go loop de lye - bend over let me see your tail feather. Wife reminded me of another two songs which use to be played a lot: The Harlem Shuffle and Soul Finger.......you could wooly bully to this one as well.

Since the closure of Northern Soul Nights at Ponds Forge and the KGB on Abbeydale Road does anyone know of any other good venues where Northern Soul is played and you can have a rave up ?

Hi the Washington has a soul night once a month and I think that Davys sometimes does, think if you google it you may find a few venues? I remember all those songs and Saturday mornings and Tuesday nights too at the Rank. Can you remember the song the Flasher which we all used to dance to and the Queen of Fools ah happy days eh?:hihi:

I remember all those songs and yeah I too wore Fred Perry Shirts with Stay-press trousers and Trevira Coats and Crombies of course, not forgetting the Bata Shoes. You probably knew Robert Cooper too, he used to hang around with Alan Dalton and Alan Burgin.

Do you remember soul skirts which we got from the market with 2 yards of material in that swirled round when you danced. We wore them with the Fred Perry shirts which we probably got from Hitchens and mochasin shoes and Addidas bags where we put our talcum powder in to put on the floor to make it slippy enough to dance on! :hihi:

Archived