Does anyone remember C&A in Sheffield

sheffsand

C & A was always a good store for young fashion. In the 60's all our families met at Grandmas house on Christmas Eve. One year 3 out of 4 girl cousins turned up wearing identical dresses!

That was the risk you took....everyone had the same stuff on! Loved it regardless!!

does anyone remember C&A in Sheffield?

what a fantastic store that was, its strange that they arent in UK anymore, I have seen one believe it or not in Munich thats still open!!

They catered for different sections of the market in different countries. Thirty odd years ago the one in Munich was stuffed full of expensive leather jackets (probably still is), very different from the Sheffield C&A at the time.

• 1 month later...

My friend and I (Janet) had a Saturday job there to supplement our full time jobs and it was good fun, great experience and the money was much appreciated as we were saying up to get married (remember when people did that:-0). A friend who's mother was Dutch showed me a photo of her mother and father just after they met, just after the war in Holland and I was amazed to see the store sign behind them C & A - thought by God the English were quck getting in there but the comment about them being a Dutch owned company enlightened me and now it all makes sense!

Yes I do. It used to be in the building where Primark is now (or it was when I was little) my mum used to always take us there to buy our winter coats.

I remember it having loads of floors and selling lots of Ski wear. It can't have been closed that long though because I'm sure I bought something from there around the time my son was born (about 11 years ago). We used to have some great stores in Sheffield, including Schofields (or Cockaynes as it was) and Rackhams. It's all just cheap shops in the town centre now, there's no pleasure shopping there anymore

As a child in the mid fifties, I remember going up Snig Hill on the bus and seeing the bomb damaged C&A building, the steel framework exposed. I'm not sure whether it received a direct hit or whether it was the blast from the Marples opposite. which did.

I don't know. Maybe another forummer will tell us.:)

They formed a subsidiary called Primark to cater for the low end of the market.Their AGMs declared Sheffield a cat 5 location and downgraded our city.Coat and Ats is still missed as a source of cheap Xmas presents for unpopular relatives.

Archived