Of Race and Religion

I would not describe it as an Incitement To Racial Hatred:- I'd describe it as Incitement To Religious Hatred.

They have been arrested on suspicion of incitement to racial hatred though, that's my point.

And how is it incitement to anything? That's another thing I don't get. Sure, them burning a religious book might suggest they hate that religion, or love attention, or whatever - but surely it doesn't incite anyone else to hate it too?

"well office, I didn't used to hate Christians/Muslims/Jews, but then the bloke next door burned a copy of the bible/koran/torah, and that convinced me to hate them"

Doesn't make sense.

They have been arrested on suspicion of incitement to racial hatred though, that's my point.

And how is it incitement to anything? That's another thing I don't get. Sure, them burning a religious book might suggest they hate that religion, or love attention, or whatever - but surely it doesn't incite anyone else to hate it too?

"well office, I didn't used to hate Christians/Muslims/Jews, but then the bloke next door burned a copy of the bible/koran/torah, and that convinced me to hate them"

Doesn't make sense.

Perhaps it is a case of blood being thicker than water and they see it as insulting Mohammed and his race and with many of them being of that race, they take it personally as an insult against them and their race, and a hostile insult to boot that affects their brothers and sisters in Islam the world over? So they rise up in anger as a family against the West.

If I am right then the people who burned the Koran are playing with fire in more ways than one. They should not incite racial hatred imo for the sake of us all. They achieve nothing except raise peoples blood pressure and anger against the family (the English) of those who committed, in their eyes a vile act.

Perhaps it is a case of blood being thicker than water and they see it as insulting Mohammed and his race

my bold

That's my point. Islam isn't a race, it's a religion.

I take Boyfriday's point though if it is the same piece of legislation that covers religious and racial hatred - but am still unsure as to how one person burning a book would incite anyone else to hate people who revered the book.

my bold

That's my point. Islam isn't a race, it's a religion.

I take Boyfriday's point though if it is the same piece of legislation that covers religious and racial hatred - but am still unsure as to how one person burning a book would incite anyone else to hate people who revered the book.

People call their children Mohammed. They do not worship Mohammed as PT will be quick to point out, but they revere him and I will be corrected on this, but I imagine they think of Mohamed the same way as some people revere the Saints or the Virgin Mary? They certainly think of him as being one of their own.

People call their children Mohammed. They do not worship Mohammed as PT will be quick to point out, but they revere him and I will be corrected on this, but I imagine they think of Mohamed the same way as some people revere the Saints or the Virgin Mary? They certainly think of him as being one of their own.

I have literally no idea what your point is!

Perhaps it is a case of blood being thicker than water and they see it as insulting Mohammed and his race and with many of them being of that race, they take it personally as an insult against them and their race, and a hostile insult to boot that affects their brothers and sisters in Islam the world over?

Mohamed was an Arab, not all Arabs are Muslims, not all Muslims are Arabs in fact most Muslims (both in the UK and worldwide) aren't Arabs which was rather B Trautmann's point.

Muslims may well take Koran burning personally but it's nonsensical for them to take it "as an insult against them and their race", just as it would be nonsensical for you to take the bible being burnt as an insult against your race, your faith yes but not your race.

That's well explained Grahame, but I don't think it's the case, I think quite simply that the law makes little distinction between inciting racial hatred, compared to religious hatred, so if you were abused by someone for being a Christian then the same piece of legislation would be invoked to prosecute them.

Archived