Of Race and Religion

- but am still unsure as to how one person burning a book would incite anyone else to hate people who revered the book.

..I guess because it gives it legitmacy, people follow the behaviour of others and although I don't think a rational person could be converted to hating someone, an individual who already hates them could be convinced to act on that hatred by the actions of others.

..I guess because it gives it legitmacy, people follow the behaviour of others ...

So all religious leaders could be arrested for incitement to religious hatred if they suggest that God favours them and that sometimes he asks his followers to go an killing sprees - which is, I believe, a message shared by all the Abrahamic faiths

So all religious leaders could be arrested for incitement to religious hatred if they suggest that God favours them and that sometimes he asks his followers to go an killing sprees - which is, I believe, a message shared by all the Abrahamic faiths

Yes they could and have been if they incite their followers to kill non believers.

Abu Hamza

On Tuesday 7th February 2006, Abu Hamza was convicted of six counts of soliciting to murder, two counts of using threatening words or behaviour likely to stir up racial hatred, one count of possessing threatening recordings and one count of possession of a document likely to be useful to a terrorist.

He was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/prosecution/violent_extremism.html#a4

Yes they could and have been if they incite their followers to kill non believers.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/publications/prosecution/violent_extremism.html#a4

My point was that such behaviour - killing your opponents because it's God's will - is rife in the sacred texts of all three major religions. They have particularly little time of each other. Being the leader of such a religion could, then, be said to be giving legitimacy to the idea of killing followers of other religions - if you stand up saying 'this is the word of the one true God, and he sometimes asks us to kill people who don't share our beliefs - and that is a good thing' then surely that's as much an incitement to hatred as is burning a book?

I take exception to that. Christianity does not teach murder and I would appreciate it if you will delete that part of your post. Thank you.

My point was that such behaviour - killing your opponents because it's God's will - is rife in the sacred texts of all three major religions. They have particularly little time of each other. Being the leader of such a religion could, then, be said to be giving legitimacy to the idea of killing followers of other religions - if you stand up saying 'this is the word of the one true God, and he sometimes asks us to kill people who don't share our beliefs - and that is a good thing' then surely that's as much an incitement to hatred as is burning a book?

..it probably is Trautmann, but most religious followers can probably moderate their behaviour to accommodate contemporary living ;)

Archived