Tony

severe terror threat  

42 members have voted

1. 1. severe terror threat

• I'm frightened
    • I'm on the lookout
    • I'll report abandoned all carrier bags
    • I couldn't care less

One would think that they have access to things you and I don't.

Like that dossier about those weapons of mass destruction?

At least we know that they were correct about the links between Iraq and 9/11. Oh wait, that was totally false as well.

How can you take MI6 seriously when their agents can't even use a spell checker.

(Personally I think it all went to pot when "Q" retired.)

"We need to keep terrorism in some kind of context," he said. "For example, every year in the UK, more people die in road accidents than have been killed by terrorists in all of recorded history."

Nigel Inkster, former Assistant Chief and Director of Operations and Intelligence of MI6

LINK

But people aren't scared of cars and they must be kept off-balance and fearful of "terrorist" bogeymen.

I pay no attention to it - in effect, it's become a pointless measure.

In terms of number of deaths attributed to terrorism in the UK in the past 10 years, I see no point even thinking about it. I've got much, much more to worry about like crossing the road, visiting the hospital, or going to the pub for a drink.

I would agree that this is the right attitude to take. People can't live their lives in fear or those that would do us harm have won. I'm far more likely to be struck by lightning than killed in a terrorist attack and I have bills to pay, kids to feed, etc. Those are the things I worry about.

Like that dossier about those weapons of mass destruction?

At least we know that they were correct about the links between Iraq and 9/11. Oh wait, that was totally false as well.

How can you take MI6 seriously when their agents can't even use a spell checker.

(Personally I think it all went to pot when "Q" retired.)

LINK

But people aren't scared of cars and they must be kept off-balance and fearful of "terrorist" bogeymen.

I couldn't honestly form any opinion about MI6 as I know nothing about them.

This conviniantly coincides with the up coming Tory conference, where the IRA once bombed and Islamic extremists have not, where with all the public unrest the planned protests will be able to be kept well back and the extra security expense of that can be justified with the old boogie man back on the scene.

Anyone that thinks this is anything more than an excuse to put the barrier cordon an extra quarter of a mile away from the conference, get all the police snipers off sick leave and to have the SAS circling overhead is fooling themselves.

They are scared all right, but its not of the IRA, its of the general public.

Whilst the chances of being directly involved in a terrorist attack may be remote, I know two people who were killed in terrorist attacks (a friend was on flight Pan Am 103 and a former colleague's son was on the Russell Square tube on 7/7) and a friend of mine saw the bus blow up in Tavistock Square. I lived in London for years with the constant threat of an IRA attack, then latterly Al Qaeda. I think that most people end up adopting a certain fatalistic attitude, they go about their ordinary everyday business and with time become complacent about it, until it happens.

Archived