Robin Hood Inn Stannington

I eat there fairly frequently and have never had a less than excellent meal let alone a poor one. The food is comparable to top quality restaurant food but it costs around the same as regular pub grub. It's a great place in a great location with great beer.

Normally the food is great but the last time we went it was not very good and I have noticed that they do not do meals in an evening like they used to only weekends, also I have noticed that the suppliers they used are not the same. The chap that used to be there was a Sheffield United football fan and always joked with my son but he is not there now.

What a shame, maybe it was an off day. I think it's about three weeks since I last ate there and it was still doing food in the evenings. The landlady was cooking as the chef was off and she turned out some amazing food. I almost felt guilty that it was so inexpensive. They were advertising a Great British food night for the 10th of October then. I wonder if it's still going ahead, the menu looked fantastic.

I worry about the future of the place in these straitened times for pubs. It's so off the beaten track, it hardly gets any passing trade and the cost of keeping such a large building must be huge. I'd be horrified if it was turned into apartments or W*****spoons got their grubby hands on it.

I love everything about it. The walk through Loxley is part of the ritual of visiting it and the walk back home along the darkened road makes me think of camping holidays. It's 15 minutes walk from where I live in a built up area and yet it feels as if it's in the middle of nowhere. The people who own it and work there are lovely and it's great that they serve Farmer's ales.

It needs it's own press officer and a free minibus service to get bums on seats!

• 2 months later...

Archived