X-BOX live - should I be worried?

Thanks Size 13 and all others giving useful advice and reassuring comments.

One day Moossey, I expect you will feel out of your depth in some are of life, and I hope when you seek advice that you get solid sound support instead of patronising ridicule.:(

I'm not ridiculing anyone thanks. I'm trying to help you realise that all the people out there that will give you horror stories, invariably featuring paedophiles, people being abducted, making your kids meet them after talking to them online etc, are basically filling you with fear that is completely irrational. Thats the point.

You can set the gamer zone on his account to family, that way when he links up with randomers there shouldn't be any swearing/abusive talk/over competitiveness etc. Any swearing and the like should be reported and repeat offenders will face a ban.

Everything i was gonna say was said right there, Im a big big Live player and its vary rare that i come accross complete idiots and as far as i know to date there has been 0 cases of people grooming or chasing through X-Box Live, just do what your doing keep an eye on his friend's, his gamer zone and all will be fine :D

I'm not ridiculing anyone thanks. I'm trying to help you realise that all the people out there that will give you horror stories, invariably featuring paedophiles, people being abducted, making your kids meet them after talking to them online etc, are basically filling you with fear that is completely irrational. Thats the point.

Where has anyone given anything like that?

I think perhaps it is you who is the lady who doth protest to much :P

Remember the console has parental controls, and you can restrict games he can play if you wish.

Legally 13 year olds aren't allowed to purchase 15 or 18 rated games, but if you let him play them then he will encounter adults and he will hear a lot of swearing.

As for grooming, just make sure he never gives out any personal details online to anyone.

• 1 year later...
All I'd say is if you buy him 18+ rated games expect to have him exposed to a great deal of swearing! Doubt that you would but it's amazing how many little (and by little I mean clearly boys who's voices haven't broken) kids you get playing games which are certainly not suitable.

I've been gaming on Live for 7 years and apart from the odd expletive it's really nothing to worry about.

This is what annoys me about those that go around shouting that games are making their kids violent. I was involved in a live online debate about it were one of those claiming this was caught out by a line of questioning. Her child was 12 yrs old and she'd bought him several 18 cert games but was denying that she was responsible saying the makers shouldn't make such games.

When told that she shouldn't have given him the games as the certification is there for a reason, she said "I'm his parent and I'll decide what he has access to"

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

As for the OP. The sensible approach is to have a sit down with your child and express your concern, LISTEN to his side and meet in the middle. But make it CRYSTAL clear that if he deviates from the agreed terms, that he will lose his access to playing online immediately.

Use the consoles parental controls to restrict the content that can be played.

As for those that say, let him take it upstairs into the privacy of his own bedroom, clearly they don't have children and/or aren't mature enough to understand your concerns.

You can't stop him from communicating and in many ways, talking through his x box is no different to what we are doing. I don't know you and vice versa, but we are exchanging ideas. I won't be popping round to murder you later:)

There are so many ways to communicate now that it is foolish to try to control them. The best that you can do is to educate him about the possible dangers whilst encouraging him to enjoy the benefits. Do this as often as you see fit, reinforcement really does work. Good luck!

Can I just reiterate what excellent advice this is. In fact, it should be foremost in every parent's mind. Education is by far the best way to keep your children safe!

The solution is do NOT buy age rated games for your child, no matter how much he cries about all his mates having the latest COD, GTA or whatever, games are rated 15 and above for very good reason IMO.

Also, you can set VERY stringent Parental controls on most games nowadays which limits what content anyone under-age can view, which is password protected, so as long as you and ONLY you know the password, you can restrict what he can and can't see in games.

My 13yr old has just got an XBOX this week, and tonight I find him with headphones on racing live with someone and also talking directly to them. Obviously I need to have a chat with him about not exchanging prsonal info with whoever he's racing with. We only have a TV in the living room as I don't allow them in bedrooms so he's not hidden away from us.

Anyone else any experiences with this?

Don't allow him to use the headphones. My kids aren't allowed to.

Can I just reiterate what excellent advice this is. In fact, it should be foremost in every parent's mind. Education is by far the best way to keep your children safe!

It's ok as far as it goes. Some of the stuff I've heard people saying online I wouldn't want them to hear. I've had to stop them playing some games altogether.

Archived