Christian sacrilege

It's not very likely to happen again, is it? We're probably the most civilised country in the world, if you gauge it by bending over backwards to flagellate ourselves, not just for what our recent Governments might have done, but things done hundreds of years in the past.

Other rather, to have people like you flagellate us for it. Personally, I accept no responsibility for anything that happened before I was adult enough to cast my vote, and even then, probably not for most of it.

i dont call it flagellation i call it burying your head in the sand and pretending weve never done anything bad in our time yet getting on our soapbox at every opportunity to rant at others

so you dont think its shameful trudging round the world whether in the past or now, killing, raping and stealing for OUR OWN ENDS?

I think we've done more good in the world than bad and I think we do a lot of good in the world. If we must feel ashamed about this then I want my famine donations back. You can't have it both ways. It was something done a century ago and the world has changed.

I think it's shameful judging the sins of those who can no longer air their views. Not even the Ethiopians think we should be ashamed.

so you dont think its shameful trudging round the world whether in the past or now, killing, raping and stealing for OUR OWN ENDS?
oh come on, mel, get a grip. Get on a forum in Rwanda or somewhere, and start trying to lay the guilt trip on them for their heinous crimes against humanity, and see how far you get.

Instead of worrying about things that happened a hundred years or more ago in far flung lands, you'd be better using your brain and energy agitating for better working conditions for people like yourself, who, according to you, are being exploited today just the same as you would have been in Victorian times.

oh come on, mel, get a grip. Get on a forum in Rwanda or somewhere, and start trying to lay the guilt trip on them for their heinous crimes against humanity, and see how far you get.

Instead of worrying about things that happened a hundred years or more ago in far flung lands, you'd be better using your brain and energy agitating for better working conditions for people like yourself, who, according to you, are being exploited today just the same as you would have been in Victorian times.

Have I been accosted by Citizen Smith?

Personally, I accept no responsibility for anything that happened before I was adult enough to cast my vote, and even then, probably not for most of it.

I agree, you have no reason to be ashamed for the actions of your ancestors.

Using the same logic, you also have no right to be proud of the actions of your ancestors?

If not, why not?

so in theory what ruby and tony are saying is.............it doesnt matter its in the past.

does it really matter if it was over a centuary ago?

if you take the same thought process i could kill somebody today and by tommorow itll be in the past so doesnt matter

so does the crimes of ian huntly get forgiven as they were quite a few years in the past?

me thinks rubes and tony would be the first to jump on me if i admitted ANY crime commited in the past 40 years (but as its britain and its christian it doesnt matter)

so in theory what ruby and tony are saying is.............it doesnt matter its in the past.

if you take the same thought process i could kill somebody today and by tommorow itll be in the past so doesnt matter

so does the crimes of ian huntly get forgiven as they were quite a few years in the past?

me thinks rubes and tony would be the first to jump on me if i admitted ANY crime commited in the past 40 years (but as its britain and its christian it doesnt matter)

I kind of agree with ruby, why should we be ashamed of things that we didn't do?

It's not to do with the amount of time that's passed, it's to do with the fact that these things that you expect me to feel guilty about happened at a time when I did not exist, they can't possibly be my fault, at all.

I agree, you have no reason to be ashamed for the actions of your ancestors. Using the same logic, you also have no right to be proud of the actions of your ancestors? If not, why not?
You should really be asking the OP this.

My ancestors weren't rampaging around the world, raping and killing and stealing artifacts as he insists the British army were. They were most probably slaving away in some dark satanic mill, or killing themselves trying to farm an inhospitable hillside in the biting wind and rain.

I consider this constant harping back to the past, beating ourselves up for past actions, which were more or less the norm for all european countries, and paying millions of £s in 'aid' as reparation for it, is a form of low self esteem. I don't think you see it anywhere else in Europe.

Do you expect modern day Germans to constantly apologise the war or shall we all just get on with it and forgive? It's in the past and the only time it should be brought up is really on anniversaries or when teaching that it should never happen again. Suggesting people be ashamed or proud of everything done is just pointless and it gets us nowhere.

I strongly object to that last part of your post. You know nothing of me and have posted something provocative on a public forum, it is that we are discussing not your past. So long as you had served your time, who am I to judge? You should not make others out to be as judgemental as you are.

You should really be asking the OP this.
But I'm just as interested in your answer, and it was a point made by you that made me think to ask it anway.

My ancestors weren't rampaging around the world, raping and killing and stealing artifacts as he insists the British army were. They were most probably slaving away in some dark satanic mill, or killing themselves trying to farm an inhospitable hillside in the biting wind and rain.

I consider this constant harping back to the past, beating ourselves up for past actions, which were more or less the norm for all european countries, and paying millions of £s in 'aid' as reparation for it, is a form of low self esteem. I don't think you see it anywhere else in Europe.

That's pretty interesting, but I was hoping perhaps you'd answer my question. Mel, the same one goes to you (except the other way round I guess).

Archived