Christian sacrilege

Do you expect modern day Germans to constantly apologise the war or shall we all just get on with it and forgive? It's in the past and the only time it should be brought up is really on anniversaries or when teaching that it should never happen again. Suggesting people be ashamed or proud of everything done is just pointless and it gets us nowhere.

Should we be proud of our soldiers and airmen who fought against the nazis?

seems to me that certain people yet again are picking and choosing what to be proud about and what to be shamed about in our culture

its like i dont like that bit so it doesnt exist BUT that bits nice so you MUST be proud of it or else

and the same people are now saying we shouldnt be ashamed as it wasnt anything to do with us.............on one hand

while on the other hand slagging off a whole lot of people of a different religion for things they didnt do and others have done???

seems to me that certain people yet again are picking and choosing what to be proud about and what to be shamed about in our culture

its like i dont like that bit so it doesnt exist BUT that bits nice so you MUST be proud of it or else

and the same people are now saying we shouldnt be ashamed as it wasnt anything to do with us.............on one hand

while on the other hand slagging off a whole lot of people of a different religion for things they didnt do and others have done???

Can you show me where anyone on this thread has said anything of the sort? You can only mean me and flamingjimmy, as I've never actually seen tonyerikson post anything on the subject before today.

You on the other hand seem obsessed with proving that the British are responsible for every ill in the world ... :suspect:

I agree, you have no reason to be ashamed for the actions of your ancestors. Using the same logic, you also have no right to be proud of the actions of your ancestors? If not, why not?
Is this your question? I didn't answer it because I couldn't see where my ancestors came into it. We were talking about the actions of old time British Governments. And I can't really answer it because my stance is neutral, as I personally had zero input into anything.

Although I can't say I have pride in my ancestors, I have respect for them, if merely for surviving and rearing progeny, given the living conditions of the past. Every survivor was a minor miracle. I don't know whether I have occasion for shame, because other than the earlier two generations, I have no personal knowledge of them. And I have no shame in anything I know of my parents and grandparents, but a great respect for their endurance and achievements, given the odds stacked against them in their day.

You on the other hand seem obsessed with proving that the British are responsible for every ill in the world ... :suspect:

i have never said such a thing, but i for one dont believe we are as perfect as some people make out and it shouldnt be hidden as tho it never happened

oh look at tonys join date, might give you a clue :P

Archived