Christian sacrilege

19th centuary "christians" stole loot violently from ethiopian christians in the name of the British empire.

story here

never mind the mumbo jumbo about people not supposed to be seeing it, its this bit that jumped out at me, its a BRITSH priest wanting it given back not an ethiopian or a foriegner, a brit.

"A British priest, the Rev John McLuckie, is backing calls for its return, not least because it was taken as booty by British troops in the 19th century. He told the Observer: "This is completely unacceptable. Sacrilege would not be too strong a word. It's loot, taken violently and inappropriately in the first place."

also this bit

"Professor Richard Pankhurst, a leading scholar on Ethiopia, has long campaigned for the return of these treasures. He said: "Tewodros committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the British army. His body was set upon by souvenir-seekers – officers and soldiers alike – who stripped him of his clothes and tore out his hair. The army looted the main churches and destroyed the Maqdala fortress"

although im proud to be british its these stories about discovery, violence, theft, rape and murder in foriegn places in OUR name that make me unproud about certain things.

so are we as a nation guilty of crimes commited by the long dead?

There are always two sides to a story. Tewodros forged an alliance between Britain and Ethiopia but for some reason I don't know he imprisoned British subjects. The British Army went out on a rescue mission and when Tewodros was defeated by the British he committed suicide. This was because of his defeat not because of any looting. However after his suicide there was looting which was normal behaviour for any victorious army.

I don't condone any of it but Tewodros should never have held the British captive after forming an alliance with them. The newspaper report incorrectly reads as though it was entirely the fault of the British and the point is, what was he doing holding British subjects captive and how many lives were lost as a result? Tewodros was in the wrong from beginning to end and if they get their plaques back it will be like nothing ever happened and they have pulled another stroke on the British 200 years later.

You can read about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ethiopia

19th centuary "christians" stole loot violently from ethiopian christians in the name of the British empire.

story here

never mind the mumbo jumbo about people not supposed to be seeing it, its this bit that jumped out at me, its a BRITSH priest wanting it given back not an ethiopian or a foriegner, a brit.

"A British priest, the Rev John McLuckie, is backing calls for its return, not least because it was taken as booty by British troops in the 19th century. He told the Observer: "This is completely unacceptable. Sacrilege would not be too strong a word. It's loot, taken violently and inappropriately in the first place."

also this bit

"Professor Richard Pankhurst, a leading scholar on Ethiopia, has long campaigned for the return of these treasures. He said: "Tewodros committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the British army. His body was set upon by souvenir-seekers – officers and soldiers alike – who stripped him of his clothes and tore out his hair. The army looted the main churches and destroyed the Maqdala fortress"

although im proud to be british its these stories about discovery, violence, theft, rape and murder in foriegn places in OUR name that make me unproud about certain things.

Have you seen any burning bushes lately, that spoke to you?

Or been struck by lightenening on the road to Damascus?

You seem in the early stages of religious mania:help:

There are always two sides to a story. Tewodros forged an alliance between Britain and Ethiopia but for some reason I don't know he imprisoned British subjects. The British Army went out on a rescue mission and when Tewodros was defeated by the British he committed suicide. This was because of his defeat not because of any looting. However after his suicide there was looting which was normal behaviour for any victorious army.

I don't condone any of it but Tewodros should never have held the British captive after forming an alliance with them. The newspaper report incorrectly reads as though it was entirely the fault of the British and the point is, what was he doing holding British subjects captive and how many lives were lost as a result? Tewodros was in the wrong from beginning to end and if they get their plaques back it will be like nothing ever happened and they have pulled another stroke on the British 200 years later.

You can read about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ethiopia

its funny that cos theres NEVER any room for two sides of the story when islams mentioned :suspect:

its funny that cos theres NEVER any room for two sides of the story when islams mentioned :suspect:

Why would islam be mentionrd on a christian thread,

Little thought H.E. Sir R. Napier, Commander-in-Chief of the Bombay Army, as he sat down to his Christmas board this day twelvemonth, that to-day one of H.M.'s frigates would be carrying himself and his Staff across the Indian Ocean to make war on our erst right Christian ally, King Theodorus of Ethiopia.

Archived