Christian sacrilege

I don't think they could give them back anyway, The British Museum Act prevents them. The act prevents any museum to give back part of its collection no matter whether it feels it has a moral obligation to do so. Its why the Elgin Marbles are still in the British Museum since 1816

I don't think they could give them back anyway, The British Museum Act prevents them. The act prevents any museum to give back part of its collection no matter whether it feels it has a moral obligation to do so. Its why the Elgin Marbles are still in the British Museum since 1816
So we're not likely to get our cross back? :(

Oh, and mel, if you're going to be an atheist ... better learn to spell it! ;)

So we're not likely to get our cross back? :(

Oh, and mel, if you're going to be an atheist ... better learn to spell it! ;)

It is strange that its not in Sheffield museum, Its not as though its leaving the country, I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it being in London. Perhaps they don't believe we'll appreciate the cultural significance of the cross because we're uneducated northerners. :)

come on rubes you above all people must have also seen the HIGH concentration on this forum of right wingers that have rejoined under new names almost on a daily basis, its a wee bit more than paranoia.......or even avoidence.

strangely ive yet to notice any left wingers under assumed names tho :suspect:

Could someone explain why new people are all "Re-joining right wingers".

Why would anyone need to rejoin let alone under an assumed name. Could this just be paranoia on behalf of the poster when he see's that an increasing number of new posters are not toeing his party line and having thoughts of their own. Heaven forbid they will be looking to make their own way in this world rather than have it negotiated for them to ensure they stay at the same level.

Come in clone 3 it's time for re-programming, your turn next clone 4

Could someone explain why new people are all "Re-joining right wingers".

Why would anyone need to rejoin let alone under an assumed name. Could this just be paranoia on behalf of the poster when he see's that an increasing number of new posters are not toeing his party line and having thoughts of their own. Heaven forbid they will be looking to make their own way in this world rather than have it negotiated for them to ensure they stay at the same level.

Come in clone 3 it's time for re-programming, your turn next clone 4

You get used to it after a while, it sort of becomes familiar and comforting to see bewildered new users being accused of being "right wingers," or of being a new identity of a long since banned user.

After you with the flagellation whip Mel

it was british troops in the name of the british people for the christian (british) church that stole it
no,it wasnt stolen in the name of british people ,it was looters and it cant be called sacrilage if it is on display in the abbey,a christian seat,there are more important things for ethiopia to be concerned about than a small religious icon and as an athiest mel i find it hard to believe your so shocked

"Tabots are regarded by 35 million Ethiopian Christians as so sacrosanct that only priests are allowed to look at them."

:huh: Why don't we send them an empty crate and pay the priests to say the tabots are in it? Priests are past masters when it comes to lying, so...

Problem solved!

19th centuary "christians" stole loot violently from ethiopian christians in the name of the British empire.

story here

never mind the mumbo jumbo about people not supposed to be seeing it, its this bit that jumped out at me, its a BRITSH priest wanting it given back not an ethiopian or a foriegner, a brit.

"A British priest, the Rev John McLuckie, is backing calls for its return, not least because it was taken as booty by British troops in the 19th century. He told the Observer: "This is completely unacceptable. Sacrilege would not be too strong a word. It's loot, taken violently and inappropriately in the first place."

also this bit

"Professor Richard Pankhurst, a leading scholar on Ethiopia, has long campaigned for the return of these treasures. He said: "Tewodros committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the British army. His body was set upon by souvenir-seekers – officers and soldiers alike – who stripped him of his clothes and tore out his hair. The army looted the main churches and destroyed the Maqdala fortress"

although im proud to be british its these stories about discovery, violence, theft, rape and murder in foriegn places in OUR name that make me unproud about certain things.

If they really want it back that much, give it to them.

I think it's more important to be proud of having a history, rather than specific events in the past. Since none of us were alive at the time, it can't really be said it was in our name.

I might be wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that many historical artefacts would not have been discovered without British or other European explorers.

Archived