One beginning to another.

“Whoever advances towards God goes from one beginning to another” (St Gregory of Nyssa). This saying has become something of a motto for my 23 years of ministry. As I reflect on recent new beginnings I have much to give thanks for.

My ministry is made up of three very different and challenging roles. Each complements and informs the other and builds on the gifts that my ministry as a Church Army Evangelist has given me.

Chaplain and Spiritual Care Co-ordinator at St Luke's Hospice: As Chaplain I have the God-given privilege of walking beside people, including patients, relatives, the Hospice staff and volunteers, on their journey of life. This role forms the major part of my ministry and provides me with my stipend.

Chaplain to the College of Canons and Cathedral Curate: On my ordination, Bishop Steven and the Dean appointed me to these roles, which add to my ongoing work as Chaplain to the Cathedral staff and choir. The work involves being a listening ear and offering impartial and confidential counsel to staff and the choir as they undertake the work and ministry of the Cathedral. I have gained a great deal from the privilege of sharing in the liturgical life and ministry of the Cathedral, which is informed and grounded in one to one encounters. I am just so sorry due to the work at the Hospice I am not able to be in the Cathedral much in the week.

The third role, which I have had for some eight years, is that of Liturgical Chaplain to the Bishop of Doncaster. The role of the Chaplain is to guide the Bishop through the liturgy, and to be one step ahead in case of the unexpected!

One beginning to another. What beginnings are you thankful for?

Written by Reverend Captain Mike Reeder CA, Honorary Curate at Sheffield Cathedral

Archived