Anti-Piracy Law Firm Torn Apart By Leaked Emails

VideoPro

They have tried to claim in the past you are still at fault if you don't secure your home network and someone downloads illegal torrents. I wonder what happens if you are supplied a ready configured router by your ISP? Are they going to try get the money out of the ISPs instead now?

I wonder what happens if you are supplied a ready configured router by your ISP? Are they going to try get the money out of the ISPs instead now?
I haven't touched any settings of my recent ISP-supplied and ISP-secured router for this very reason (WiFi u/name, p/word, etc. printed on label and affixed on bottom of unit by, or for, the ISP). Not even accessed the CP/updated the firmware.

The words you are looking for are 'joint tortfeasors' and 'secondary liability' ;)

All older D-links have an easy crack too, just telnet straight in on port 23 with the username "admin" and the password "blank", regardless of the password the user has setup this works via telnet. Once in you can modify any part of the router settings as though you had logged in via the web console, including disabling/changing, or just reading the unencrypted WEP/WPA keys.

I have received one of these letters today, which i am really puzzled about theres only myself and my partner who use the computer, i know i havent done it and my partner is barely computer literate enough to try and use ebay never mind download stuff.

Any ideas what i should do:(

I have received one of these letters today, which i am really puzzled about theres only myself and my partner who use the computer, i know i havent done it and my partner is barely computer literate enough to try and use ebay never mind download stuff.

http://beingthreatened.yolasite.com/

Some good advice on there. :thumbsup:

Pay UP!... Just kidding, thats actually the worst thing you can do as that would be admitting liability. Just tell em you will not pursue the matter any further until they provide you with the MAC address of the actual computer that is alleged to have infringed, as its impossible for you to determine which PC was using the IP address at the time of the infringement.

Since they cannot provide you with such detail, they will have no choice but to drop the case as this particular detail would have to be provided to a court.

Also note that this is called an "infringement" rather than an "offence". It is NOT an offence, and they are threateneing a civil case, not a criminal case. This is an important distinction.

Im accused of downloading the UK Top 40. ACS are relying on the assumption that their particular client had a track in the Top 40 at that time, and that I downloaded that track, which they have no way of knowing. Thats a pretty big assumption then, since most torrent clients allow you to select which parts of an archive you want.

On top of all the other holes in this, they would need to prove that their clients track was in this archive, and that I shared (uploaded) that particular part (1/40th) as they dont have client permission to pursue the other 39.

Even if I owned up to downloading the archive, they have a hell of a long way to go to get a successful civil court action.

Archived