Angry at schools dictatorship/need advice.

norks

Why not...

1) Get the head to put in writing that the only supplier of the shirt is the school.

2) Get the head to put in writing that your child will receive detention for not having the correct shirt.

3) Report the school to the Office of Fair Trading:D.

4) Sit back and wait for the proverbial to hit the fan.

Thanks for the advice, I will consider doing this and will post the out come if I do.

Or you can read about it in the local rag :D

I really think that state schools (especially those in the less affluent areas) have a duty to ensure that uniform is affordable for all or to allow some flexibility in the dress code. Parents on low incomes will struggle to meet the costs added to which there are those associated with school trips, all the other paraphernalia, costs for Food and Design Technologies etc etc, it all mounts up, especially if you have more than one child at school. Schools have no business making a profit out of parents unless it's through fundraising or some voluntary scheme. They are state schools after all, if private schools want their pupils kitted out in £100 blazers etc, then they do so on the basis that if parents can afford to educate their children privately, then they can afford several hundred pounds worth of stuffy uniform.

I have just spoken to the school who say they have copy righted the logo and that perission was denied to a crystal peaks market stall to use the logo on cut price clothing.

I asked how i would gain permission to use it and was told they would have to speak to trading standards :confused:

That is odd because if it is the school I think it is looking at their website it says nothing about having to wear a particular logo on the PE Kit, just that a suitable item is available from them, not that they are the only source of PE kits.

I think you should complain to the school Governors, because they are the people that formally set the school uniform policy.

I would make the argument about cost because they are under obligation to consider costs, they are also recommended to consult with parents before making changes to the school uniform policy, so I would ask why you weren't consulted before they changed the policy that is still there advertised on their website. I would also complain about arbitrary detention of your child for a rule they have not published on their website. Claim it as a human rights issue, because it is... I don't know where it will get you.... but it will be interesting to see their response. They have obviously upset you and you should therefore make sure they are made aware of it, so they follow the guidelines properly in future and don't cause parents unnecesary distress that is after all why the guidelines are published. I would certainly express my unhappiness with their attitude. If you send your child to school with the wrong kit, they are supposed to take a sympathetic and supportive approach including putting you in touch with any local authority financial support hat might be available to help pay for the uniform.

Some info:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/SchoolLife/DG_4016078

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/atoz/u/uniform/

That is odd because if it is the school I think it is looking at their website it says nothing about having to wear a particular logo on the PE Kit.

I think you should complain to the school Governors, because they are the people that formally set the school uniform policy.

I would make the argument about cost because they are under obligation to consider costs, they are also recommended to consult with parents before making changes to the school uniform policy, so I would ask why you weren't consulted before they changed the policy that is still there advertised on their website. I would also complain about arbitrary detention of your child for a rule they have not published on their website. Claim it as a human rights issue, because it is... I don't know where it will get you but it will be interesting to see their response. They have obviously upset you and you should therefore make sure they are made aware of it, so they follow the guidelines properly in future.

Some info:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/SchoolLife/DG_4016078

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/atoz/u/uniform/

I agree, I checked and it just mentions the required colour of the shirt and how it's available at reception. Nowhere does it stipulate that it must sport (no pun intended) the school logo.

At my son's school, the PE Kit is regulation and has the kid's name embroidered onto it, so you can't even hand it down to a sibling or pass it onto a friend's kid. Yet they have no uniform.:roll:

Archived