Angry at schools dictatorship/need advice.

norks

Well, I for one think it outrageous to punish a child in this manner, a Year 7 child too who is having to make all kinds of adjustments. A better and more conciliatory approach would have been to let the kid partake in PE and send a note home to the parent/s/guardian explaining that if he were not in the regulation kit by a set date, then detention would enforced. what is the point of websites unless they contain up-to-date and accurate information and guidance?

It's not outrageous because the punishment is not flogging is it? I think some calm perspective is required here. Teachers have to stick by the rules, not pick and choose or accusations of favouritism creep in. It is a punishment on the parent too to make them conform and why not? Parents should follow the rules too.

As for the PE issue I think the child in question was ill and turned up minus kit and a note. What was the teacher to do? If anyone turned up at my school minus PE kit it was straight to the lost property box. No note? Then no excused PE. Nice and simple, nice and disciplined.

Have some kids and get off the soap box.

I have nothing against uniform but when schools use their authority to drag money in then its time to question what it has to do with their education.

This is true I jest not, our school has days when you DO NOT have to wear the uniform for the sum £1.

Now justify that if its so important.

The wearing of non uniform clothing is authorised on those days, quite a different matter to the subject under discussion.

Maybe the school thought they were helping the parents by avoiding them having to do this.

Hmmm, perhaps although I doubt it. :suspect:

It's not an issue really, I just threw it into the mix.:D I'd much rather have a school uniform than not have one but have a regulation PE kit. I sew nametapes into anything which is likely to be taken off as I know from past experience how much stuff tends to get 'lost' at school, the number of coats I've had to replace over the years . . .

It's not outrageous because the punishment is not flogging is it? I think some calm perspective is required here. Teachers have to stick by the rules, not pick and choose or accusations of favouritism creep in. It is a punishment on the parent too to make them conform and why not? Parents should follow the rules too.

As for the PE issue I think the child in question was ill and turned up minus kit and a note. What was the teacher to do? If anyone turned up at my school minus PE kit it was straight to the lost property box. No note? Then no excused PE. Nice and simple, nice and disciplined.

Huh? Are we at cross purposes here? The child in question (the one in mentioned in the OP) had a shirt in the regulation colour without the obligatory school logo. It was a parental decision not the child being lax.

Where does the collective leadership of the school come in to this? We have a parent who's child is being given detention for not conforming to a rule they haven't properly publicised, indeed what information they do publish says that the parent has done no wrong.

I mention human rights because they are being breached by arbitrary detention I am not suggesting a court case or anything.

I also don't accept that in the past parents would have let their children be bullied by unwritten rules, indeed I can think of an example where a head teacher at my school got a black eye from a parent for hitting his kid without permission. I am not condoning their behaviour I hasten to add, but things haven't changed that much. For any system to work and bring children up properly they need rules and fair punishments as a last resort. Anything else leads to problems, and the bad behaviour you are complaining about.

How do you know it has not been properly publicised? The OP did not notice anything and you think you are looking at the right website but are not sure. Not conclusive.

Don't mention the law unless you are prepared to take it to law, that's why I mention the courtroom.

The collective leadership of the school run it and make and enforce the rules. You are disagreeing with them. Does that explain it?

As for your final paragraph I can't even begin to answer it. In 'my day' eg 1988 the rules were dead simple and everyone knew them. Some including me broke them and were punished. I accepted it because I knew I had fair warning. I didn't even dare complain to my parents. In the new age of relativism and questioning everything there seems to be no certainties anymore and everyone is an 'individual' expecting tailored solutions. No way.

I am sure you are wiser than the collective leadership of the school. Forgive me. Bringing in human rights is simply ridiculous and the website is not the only source of info. Did the OP do any face to face research to establish dress code?

I am sure teachers across the planet would be puzzled by your new definitions of when a child has not done something wrong. Wearing the wrong clothes is the most basic rule of all but you seem to believe this can all be turned into a mush of ethics like a US courtroom. Madness. Another poster on here seems to think if his kid turns up without his PE kit his kid should not be punished and the teacher should take time out to ring him! He was not joking. This kind of wet thinking amazes me and explains a lot of what is wrong with society.

Bringing in human rights is not ridiculous at all, they are inalienable rights, they apply to children too.

When I was at school I did not get changed in the changing rooms, I was given sole use of the gym, Right to privacy.

When ordered to do detention, they were ignored under article 9.

If the school wanted me to do extra time to fulfill their order they would pay me for it, they never did, and never enforced any detentions.

What's the name of this society that you talk about?

I don't remember right being discussed in the ancient days when I was at school, just rules and earned priveleges. Unless there were violent teachers or other extremism rights did not come into it. I don't see why it should change. The number of spoilt brats I see calling their parents stupid or worse is being explained on here.
You sound like you resent children or youth full stop. Let people get on with bringing there kids up how they see fit, like its been said, its not a dictatorship and its reasonable now a days to expect your rights are respected.

Schools today are power hungry like any corporate organisation, its dog eat dog and children are just like a commodity.

Huh? Are we at cross purposes here? The child in question (the one in the mentioned in the OP) had a shirt in the regulation colour without the obligatory school logo. It was a parental decision not the child being lax.

Yes, the facts are.

Parent can afford to buy authorised PT shirt but will not purchase one from the school as a matter of principle.

Child is not allowed to take part in PT lesson as they are not dressed in the approved clothing.

School provides the pupil with an authorised shirt.

Huh? Are we at cross purposes here? The child in question (the one in mentioned in the OP) had a shirt in the regulation colour without the obligatory school logo. It was a parental decision not the child being lax.

Yes as I thought you were referring to the other poster who moaned that the teacher did not ring him up about his son.

As for the main child maybe they should have let him do the lesson minus the shirt as a one off but once the OP stuck his heels in then no.

And no I am not looking for arguments, I feel very strongly about discipline and individualism. I am sure I agree with you on other issues.

The wearing of non uniform clothing is authorised on those days, quite a different matter to the subject under discussion.
in what sense ?

Kids that go in uniforms on that day are ridiculed so parents feel pressure to pay.

This is the reason why they justify uniforms because they don't want kids in designer clothes and have kids that can't afford them fee outsiders and have a divide in the school.

Their reasoning is flawed as they are causing exclusion and difference on these days.

Archived