Angry at schools dictatorship/need advice.

norks

I'm racking my brains as to how much we paid for my son's PE kit which has not only the school logo but their names embroidered on every item. £10 for a plain cotton (I am assuming) polo-shirt with logo does seem a little excessive. I think we paid less than £50 for the lot: a tracksuit top, bottoms, nylon shirt, shorts and socks.

Don't even go there mate.

I have taught my kids to be individual, to think for themselves and to question everything.

I have also told them to stand up for what they believe in and nvever be dictatored

I hope they didn't inherit their mother's fear of creatures with more than six legs :hihi:

Come on, it may be irritating but if it's a good school can it really be called disgusting? A unique school product is not necessarily going to be available in shops. Well I can't agree on the cause but the pursuit of principles is good. That's my view on balance.

I hope they didn't inherit their mother's fear of creatures with more than six legs :hihi:

One of them did, he was laughing like mad at the top of the stairs with the " spider incident" but did not have the botte to shift it :hihi:

Come on, it may be irritating but if it's a good school can it really be called disgusting? A unique school product is not necessarily going to be available in shops. Well I can't agree on the cause but the pursuit of principles is good. That's my view on balance.

The school in question is very good, very supportive and the teaching standard is great(if not a little slack on special needs departmet) and i am glad my son is being taught there but that does not make it right that they can do what they are doing!

I used to work in the Girls' Schoolwear Department at Peter Jones, London, official stockists for the country's top private girls' schools. Blimey, the parents whom I had to serve were forever complaining about the cost of kitting them out, a cloak could cost up to £150. I had zero sympathy.

Anyhow, if the school is bulk buying these logoed items, which they must be being the sole stockists, surely they can lower the prices?:huh:

This inevitably leads to divisions on who has the best gear with insults dished out to those who don't. The majority of kids wear a 'uniform' of whatever is classed as cool. A minority will wear an alternative uniform e.g. goths or whatever and will be derided. They in turn will deride those who deride them for being boring.

People are individuals but kids in school are not, they just respond to peers and school and personal life are seperate. Talk of individuality is overrated anyway. Everyone is as individual as the other 6 billion unique individuals. Therefore no one is an individual in reality anyway.

Most of my daughters friend buy their clothes from charity shops and vintage fairs. They are all in to recycling. There have not been any problems with this.

It is all down to the good management of the school and, if incidents do occur then it is nipped in the bud.

So as I said before everyone is an individual.Your last sentence makes no sense.

It's absurd, I could understand more it if we were talking about one of the private schools, where the kids look like they're about to go out punting with straw boaters and blazers.

They are state schools after all, if private schools want their pupils kitted out in £100 blazers etc, then they do so on the basis that if parents can afford to educate their children privately, then they can afford several hundred pounds worth of stuffy uniform.

I used to work in the Girls' Schoolwear Department at Peter Jones, London, official stockists for the country's top private girls' schools. Blimey, the parents whom I had to serve were forever complaining about the cost of kitting them out, a cloak could cost up to £150. I had zero sympathy.

What a typically Sheffield view of people who send their kids to a private school. They might have to scrimp and save and have no life to do so because they want to give their kids a better chance in life, but hey, they deserve to be ripped off for every penny. Bet you voted Labour as well.

What a typically Sheffield view of people who send their kids to a private school. They might have to scrimp and save and have no life to do so because they want to give their kids a better chance in life, but hey, they deserve to be ripped off for every penny. Bet you voted Labour as well.

Indeed they may, that is their choice and the school uniform is all part of the package, state education is an option for everyone, a private one isn't.

And don't make assumptions about whom I voted for, although what that has to do with anything, I have no idea.

Archived