Angry at schools dictatorship/need advice.

norks

It's crazy... You make it sound like the teachers are running some kind of backstreet t-shirt business that is paying for their second homes in Spain. You're talking about a tenner(!) going back into the school money... But you would rather give a fiver to someone who runs a market stall?

It's things like this that make me think we should scrap state schools for a few years, make people grateful again! Schools do so much for you and your children. If they want you to buy a t-shirt because they feel a uniform is the best way to go then just do it... or take your children out and home school them.

If your feeling about it are really that strong then buy the shirt and THEN write to the school and the LEA and the Prime Minister and the papers about it and have your rant, but don't make your children suffer for your cause.

You are missing the point.

It is not about the money it is about freedom of choice.

They have priced the t shirts really high and then made themselves the sole stockists and if a child does not have one then he is punished.

A t shirt has been sorted out for him so he is not being singled out but i am still angry at being put into this position.

I had a friend whose children went to a private school in Doncaster back in the 70s when my kids were young. Because of the high price of uniforms, the school had a clothing store. Parents of children who left, or grew out of their uniforms were enouraged to hand them in if they were in decent condition.

Some of the parents made a lot of sacrifices to school their children privately, and being able to get second hand uniforms at a fraction of the price was really helpful. Perhaps something similar could be started at your son's school? I'd also contact the LEA and ask what their stance is on schools being the only supplier of part of the uniform.

We chose to live in an area where our children went to state schools that had a uniform code from the infants right through to 6th form. In those days there were only so many places we could buy uniforms from - and they were usually expensive. Luckily they didn't insist on blazers, the rate my son grew we'd have been bankrupt!

You are missing the point.

It is not about the money it is about freedom of choice.

They have priced the t shirts really high and then made themselves the sole stockists and if a child does not have one then he is punished.

A t shirt has been sorted out for him so he is not being singled out but i am still angry at being put into this position.

Again, you sound like they are trying to make some sort of profit out of it and rip you off... Do you REALLY believe that?! I would have thought that they'll be making hardly any profit from them and at least that profit is going back into the school, not a stall holders pocket. I bet they are a lot better quality, too.

I understand about freedom of choice, but not sure how that applies here. You do have a choice, choose another school or home school or private school.

Again, you sound like they are trying to make some sort of profit out of it and rip you off... Do you REALLY believe that?! I would have thought that they'll be making hardly any profit from them and at least that profit is going back into the school, not a stall holders pocket. I bet they are a lot better quality, too.

I understand about freedom of choice, but not sure how that applies here. You do have a choice, choose another school or home school or private school.

Why should i re school, home school him etc etc for the price of a t shirt.

IT IS NOT THE MONEY IT IS THE FACT THAT I CAN ONLY PURCHASE IT FROM THEM AND IF I DO NOT THEN MY CHILD WILL BE PUNISHED.

I have just spoken to the school who say they have copy righted the logo and that perission was denied to a crystal peaks market stall to use the logo on cut price clothing.

I asked how i would gain permission to use it and was told they would have to speak to trading standards :confused:

I had a friend whose children went to a private school in Doncaster back in the 70s when my kids were young. Because of the high price of uniforms, the school had a clothing store. Parents of children who left, or grew out of their uniforms were enouraged to hand them in if they were in decent condition.

Some of the parents made a lot of sacrifices to school their children privately, and being able to get second hand uniforms at a fraction of the price was really helpful. Perhaps something similar could be started at your son's school? I'd also contact the LEA and ask what their stance is on schools being the only supplier of part of the uniform.

We chose to live in an area where our children went to state schools that had a uniform code from the infants right through to 6th form. In those days there were only so many places we could buy uniforms from - and they were usually expensive. Luckily they didn't insist on blazers, the rate my son grew we'd have been bankrupt!

I'm all for schools having a uniform or at the very least, a dress code. I don't know of any state schools in my area where a blazer is a requirement, most just have poloshirts and sweatshirts with or without the logo and plain trousers/skirts. The supermarkets now stock quite a range of plain tops in the most popular school colours, at very reasonable prices. Like most parents, I mix and match the logo stuff with the plain.

I saw some poor kid trudging along Ecclesall Road from one of the private schools the other day and his blazer and trousers were miles too big for him. His parents were obviously trying to be economical in the hope that it would last him a couple of years at least (if not his entire school career judging by the size of it) and the poor kid just looked ridiculous.

I have just spoken to the school who say they have copy righted the logo and that perission was denied to a crystal peaks market stall to use the logo on cut price clothing.

I asked how i would gain permission to use it and was told they would have to speak to trading standards :confused:

At least now you have the facts.

That is total garbage! The legal right to give permission for use of the logo is at the behest of those who own the copyright which would be the school.

Trading standards would only be involved if a seller used the logo without the permission of the owner of the copyright.

Personally I think uniforms and branded goods should be sold by the school on a not for profit basis, if they are profiting from this it is wrong and taking advantage of a monopoly on the uniform.

I have just spoken to trading standards who have said it is nothing to do with them and it is up to the school who they give permission too.

I still think this is unfair becuse the school can then deny permission to anyone they choose, ie, pinders market at crystal peaks.

Archived