Angry at schools dictatorship/need advice.

norks

I have just spoken to trading standards who have said it is nothing to do with them and it is up to the school who they give permission too.

I still think this is unfair becuse the school can then deny permission to anyone they choose, ie, pinders market at crystal peaks.

They can refuse, but this puts them into the "monopoly" category if they do, and they have to be very very careful that they do not abuse this position.

As i said above, the OFT have already warned schools about this, and if you decided to take it further you would probably win.

In that case, if I were the OP, I'd contact the OFT and without naming names, seek their advice on this matter. It's always good to have a trump card to play in such situations.

In that case, if I were the OP, I'd contact the OFT and without naming names, seek their advice on this matter. It's always good to have a trump card to play in such situations.

I hate to be ignorant but who are the OFT and how would i contact them?

I can fully understand the principle of not buying the clothing from the school. However this is the type of thing that can get your child singled out by the other pupils. If it was me I would be more bothered about this than my principles. When I was at school some pupils used to have their lives made hell just because they wore clothes that made people think their parents where poor. Yes it is wrong but that is what some school children are like, it won't change.

Against the views of others I think that if you can afford the clothing you should buy it for your son so that he is not in the middle of an argument between you and the school.

Agreed. Let the child continue with their education

So i should shut my mouth then and just let the school do as they please. :

Certainly not...give the school an earful or offer to swap places with yer son on detention.:hihi:

I saw some poor kid trudging along Ecclesall Road from one of the private schools the other day and his blazer and trousers were miles too big for him. His parents were obviously trying to be economical in the hope that it would last him a couple of years at least (if not his entire school career judging by the size of it) and the poor kid just looked ridiculous.

It actually did fit him when he started school, but his parents are so impoverished from funding the fees he hasn't eaten for three years :D

Article 5. (The Universal Declaration of human rights)

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 8.

Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the constitution or by law.

Article 9.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

I have just spoken to trading standards who have said it is nothing to do with them and it is up to the school who they give permission too.

I still think this is unfair becuse the school can then deny permission to anyone they choose, ie, pinders market at crystal peaks.

Just as I said earlier on in the thread. The school is in effect monopolising the availability of uniforms and no doubt profiting from it. I'd do as advised get your facts from the OFT and then challenge the monopoly asking for a breakdown of costs associated with the manufacture and supply of the uniforms.

If as I suspect the school is profiting from the monopoly I would make one holy stink about it.

Just as I said earlier on in the thread. The school is in effect monopolising the availability of uniforms and no doubt profiting from it. I'd do as advised get your facts from the OFT and then challenge the monopoly asking for a breakdown of costs associated with the manufacture and supply of the uniforms.

If as I suspect the school is profiting from the monopoly I would make one holy stink about it.

Would you prefer the school to profit or would you prefer the money to go to a market trader..? Genuine question...

Would you prefer the school to profit or would you prefer the money to go to a market trader..? Genuine question...

I think you missed out the third option, would you prefer the money to stay in the pockets of the poor families?

Archived