Stop the undercutting of western manufacturing.

Shouldnt we completely ban imports of all goods and services from all countries who's labour manufactured the goods on less than the equivalent of our minimum wage of £5.93 an hour, as it constitutes unfair competition?

I imagine people who own iPods wouldn't want to pay 5 times more than they are now.

It wouldn't work. No-one would buy anything and the countries manufacturing industry would still be screwed. Thank the unions.

Shouldnt we completely ban imports of all goods and services from all countries who's labour manufactured the goods on less than the equivalent of our minimum wage of £5.93 an hour, as it constitutes unfair competition?

We could do. That would make the price of many goods rise quite steeply though. Then minimum wage would have to rise, then prices would go up then....

Other than that, great idea GItD.:thumbsup:

That would mean I had to pay far more to buy virtually everything that I use just so someone can make it here and be paid an artificially high wage for doing it. But I would then need paying serveral times as much so that I could afford to buy the stuff made here, which would cause inflation, devalue the currency and have the folks making the goods striking for even higher hourly rates.

I'm not sure how the unions have anything to do with the scenario envisioned by the OP.

The ones in the UK that constantly demanded better working conditions and better wages ultimately making the UK a manufacturing no man's land. If memory serves me right, this thing was attempted in the textile industry in the 30s. The government placed massive taxes on imports. It helped manufacturing for a short while but ultimately the management had to keep the ever demanding workforce happy and inevitably priced themselves out of the global market.

Interesting replies so far...so we're happy to let the Chinese proletariat sweat it out for peanuts, while our de-industrialised, increasingly chavy, scuzzy proletariat have cheep Ipods? nice.

The Chinese are happy with it and I don't think you will ever persuade anyone to pay five times more just because the machine was made in their home country. Would you be willing to pay much more for your goods just because a Brit is making them?

Archived