8,500 on the line

What about them that can teach?

What do they do?

Probably even less than them that can't teach.

I know a headmaster very well. He has taught in Leeds for many years. He describes himself as one of the "old breed" school teachers who went into teaching to teach rather than for the crack. He was dedicated, still is. He sets himself apart from the "new breed"

School teachers are a special case in that they get 13 weeks holiday a year!

Indeed - but they can't chose when they take them and 'the system' is so arranged that school teachers are on holiday for every public holiday - so you can deduct 2 weeks.

During the 39 weeks that they aren't on holiday they tend to work about 60 hours a week, so in an average year, they work 2340 hours. - The equivalent of 62.4 37½ hour weeks.

How many weeks a year do you work Defoe? (Don't forget to deduct all the bank holidays you get in addition to your annual holiday.)

How many hours per week do you work? What's your total work year in hours?

If you work 37½ hours a week and you have a total of 5 weeks a year off (including public holidays) then you work for 1762½ hours per year. 577½ hours (or 15.4 weeks) less than a teacher.

Indeed - but they can't chose when they take them and 'the system' is so arranged that school teachers are on holiday for every public holiday - so you can deduct 2 weeks.

During the 39 weeks that they aren't on holiday they tend to work about 60 hours a week, so in an average year, they work 2340 hours. - The equivalent of 62.4 37½ hour weeks.

How many weeks a year do you work Defoe? (Don't forget to deduct all the bank holidays you get in addition to your annual holiday.)

How many hours per week do you work? What's your total work year in hours?

If you work 37½ hours a week and you have a total of 5 weeks a year off (including public holidays) then you work for 1762½ hours per year. 577½ hours (or 15.4 weeks) less than a teacher.

I'm not sure where you live Rupert, but child labour is strictly regulated in the UK:wink:

If school teachers are special how come they make pupils so thick?

That usually begins at home - if the parents don't set their kids an example or instil them with the idea that education is useful then it's hard for the teachers.

I was probably lucky being young in the time before 24/7 TV - my folks encouraged me to read everything I could lay my hands on, got three books a week from the library. Learned shed loads at school, got a decent job, did some more studying, got a better job etc.

8,500 notices of impending loss of jobs sent out by sheffield city council found this on yorkshire post web site scrivens coudnt even be bothered to warn staff he treats them like scum

If you read the Yorkshire Post story the unions are expecting over 1,000 job losses over the next four years.

Sending out 8,500 letters is the most effective way of warning staff that they are vulnerable to redundancy - you can't tell that many people face to face - and that is the proper process for starting negotiations. Individuals must be consulted during negotiations - I'd assume that will happen when it becomes clearer which jobs are going.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_10029835

Archived