Ed Miliband's Labour enjoy poll boost and are ahead of the Tories

The point I am making is that the people who most rely on social workers, the police and the NHS etc are the poorest in society. When those services are cut, it is the poor who will lose out more than then rich.
But its not just the poor who rely on the police or the NHS, how will they be worse off than anyone else?there might be less social workers, but they are a modern day nanny state invention that maybe could do with trimming!

Have you seen the number of bank job losses?

I've not seen actual figures but it seems to be around 130,000 to a predicted 750,000 losses in the public sector.

What worries me infinitely more though is that banks have continued to do exactly what they were doing before the crisis, and are being paid ever increasing amounts to do so.

How many people work in the banking sector? - What is 130,000 as a percentage?

How many people work in the public sector? - What is 750,000 as a percentage?

Who pays for the public sector? - Public sector employees pay taxes like everybody else and those taxes help to run the public sector, but the taxes are a repayment - Somebody[the private sector] has to provide the money to pay the running costs and to fund their pay.

As for the banks doing 'exactly what they were doing before the crisis' how can that be? - Before the crisis, the banks were losing money and getting into difficulties. It appears that they ae now making money - and making lots of money, too.

If all the (foreign) banks were to pull out of the UK (even if those who received handouts repaid the money in full as they left) how would that affect the economic recovery? I wonder what percentage of the recovery (to date) was earned by the financial sector?

The Boss of the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Company (HSBC) has gone back home. What would happen if he took the bank with him (ceased operations in the UK)?

How many jobs would be lost if Deutsche Bank returned to Deutschland? (I suspect they don't want to because they would pay rather more in taxes if they did.)

How many people work in the banking sector? - What is 130,000 as a percentage?

How many people work in the public sector? - What is 750,000 as a percentage?

Who pays for the public sector? - Public sector employees pay taxes like everybody else and those taxes help to run the public sector, but the taxes are a repayment - Somebody[the private sector] has to provide the money to pay the running costs and to fund their pay.

As for the banks doing 'exactly what they were doing before the crisis' how can that be? - Before the crisis, the banks were losing money and getting into difficulties. It appears that they ae now making money - and making lots of money, too.

If all the (foreign) banks were to pull out of the UK (even if those who received handouts repaid the money in full as they left) how would that affect the economic recovery? I wonder what percentage of the recovery (to date) was earned by the financial sector?

The Boss of the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Company (HSBC) has gone back home. What would happen if he took the bank with him (ceased operations in the UK)?

How many jobs would be lost if Deutsche Bank returned to Deutschland? (I suspect they don't want to because they would pay rather more in taxes if they did.)

I don't know what the percentages are, nor do I think they are relevant. The fact that people who have not contributed to this mess are losing their jobs seems wrong. Yes the banks have returned to profit, which may well mean that we will get our money back, or at least some of it. But nothing has changed that suggests to me that we won't be back in the same position in 10 years time.

You're right too that the banks have paid alot of tax, and I think New Labour benefited greatly from it, and the banks have paid to build a fair few new schools and hospitals. However I feel that much of the banking industry (the investment banking sector at least) is socially useless. It creates and loses vast amounts of money essentially by gambling.

We're in danger of becoming a second rate service economy which competes against other countries in a race to the bottom to hold on to the banks. I'd have really liked to see us take the route Germany has taken in terms of building a skilled, high-tech manufacturing economy which employs a widely varied workforce and has recovered from the crash particularity well.

Archived