Ed Miliband's Labour enjoy poll boost and are ahead of the Tories

I don't know what the percentages are, nor do I think they are relevant. The fact that people who have not contributed to this mess are losing their jobs seems wrong. Yes the banks have returned to profit, which may well mean that we will get our money back, or at least some of it. But nothing has changed that suggests to me that we won't be back in the same position in 10 years time.

You're right too that the banks have paid alot of tax, and I think New Labour benefited greatly from it, and the banks have paid to build a fair few new schools and hospitals. However I feel that much of the banking industry (the investment banking sector at least) is socially useless. It creates and loses vast amounts of money essentially by gambling.

We're in danger of becoming a second rate service economy which competes against other countries in a race to the bottom to hold on to the banks. I'd have really liked to see us take the route Germany has taken in terms of building a skilled, high-tech manufacturing economy which employs a widely varied workforce and has recovered from the crash particularity well.

We could have been a first rate service economy as well as a high tech manufacturing economy!............that's the great tragedy of Britain today.Successive governments may have played their part in the downfall,but we should never have landed up with such a huge deficit over the last decade,

The Romans came and showed us the ropes at one time,then it was Billy the frenchman,don't tell me we have got to go cap in hand to the Germans for advice!

As David Blunkett pointed out the other night..

He has now served under 8 Labour leaders only one of whom ever led the party to election victory. I'sn't it odd how the party seems to ignore this and repeatedly reject candidates in his mould?

No! it's perfectly sensible,unlike Blunkett who never did any favors to the people of Sheffield and made a fool of himself in government!

Roughly the same number as the current cabinet who voted for Nick Clegg;)

There are light years of difference between Milliband and Clegg.

Milliband seems a man of honour, who means what he says.

Clegg is a vile opportunist who has sold himself the price of a Jag, and an undeserved title of Deputy PM, and will say what ever he is told to by Cameron.

I bet when the tory heirachy get together on one of their Bully Boy nights they laugh at him for the pathetic traitor he is.

There are light years of difference between Milliband and Clegg.

Milliband seems a man of honour, who means what he says.

Clegg is a vile opportunist who has sold himself the price of a Jag, and an undeserved title of Deputy PM, and will say what ever he is told to by Cameron.

I bet when the tory heirachy get together on one of their Bully Boy nights they laugh at him for the pathetic traitor he is.

just like the people of sheffield do eh

Who are "the Unions"? An earlier poster on this thread actually said that the Unions got Ed Milliband elected leader, not the ordinary Labour Party members.

The ordinary Labour Party members are the Unions. All the Labour Party members I know and all who are listed on the national database are Union members, current or retired. So all will have received 2 ballot papers. One from the party and one from their Union. So how does this sit with the Unions (a) being in their place and (b) being in conflict with the membership?

The Trade Union members did not get a block vote for the membership. We all voted individually, either online or by post.

You can't put "the Unions in their place". You'd have to put the entire Party membership in the same one.

I can't put them 'in their place' but Ed M seems to think he can...

..he will "have no truck with overblown rhetoric about waves of irresponsible strikes." and he "won't support militant trade unionism".

But like me, I imagine he means union leaders rather than individual union members.

Union leaders like Bob Crow won't take much notice though..."Ed Miliband has to decide whose side he is on – the working class on the streets and on the picket lines or the Condems and their corporate supporters".

We'll have to wait and see what the union's reactions are to the spending review redundancies and how your new leader deals with the situation.

Yet, from the Beeb

"....Ed Miliband has said the party will not "lurch to the left" under his leadership and rejected claims he will be in thrall to the unions.

"I'm my own man," the new Labour leader told BBC One's Andrew Marr show.

He said he was on the centre ground of politics and rejected the nickname "Red Ed" as "rubbish"...."

This was a dreadful program with even more than the usual BBC bias - Andrew Marr (lefty), ®ed Milliband (far lefty), Polly Toynbee (Loony Lefty) and some lefty Luvvie (cant remember who). Well done Beeb.

We're in danger of becoming a second rate service economy which competes against other countries in a race to the bottom to hold on to the banks. I'd have really liked to see us take the route Germany has taken in terms of building a skilled, high-tech manufacturing economy which employs a widely varied workforce and has recovered from the crash particularity well.

What we need to become is a first-rate financial services economy again. We would struggle to become a skilled, high-tech manufacturing economy because the onions would destroy it again like they did in the seventies - short memories people.

Archived