IMF endorse coalition spending cuts

First of all, I couldn't care less what the IMF forecasts say - they don't deal with the "real world" that most of us have to live in and the social issues which may well come as a consequence of the cuts - deja vu again from the Thatcher legacy

Secondly, it isn't just the public sector that will suffer from the cuts - the majority of the public sector money that will be cut would otherwise filter to the private sector either by way of salaries or by way of contracts to private companies

I cannot understand how the economy is on the mend when people are losing there jobs left right and centre and very few new jobs are being created.

If people are out of work and cannot afford to spend much in the shops how can the economy be on the mend.

I cannot understand how the economy is on the mend when people are losing there jobs left right and centre and very few new jobs are being created.

If people are out of work and cannot afford to spend much in the shops how can the economy be on the mend.

Indeed. The deputy chairman of the BoE is on record that interest rates are being deliberately kept low to discourage people from saving and spend their money instead. Those with redundancy in prospect will be saving every penny they can spare even though the best instant access rates are well below RPI.

Putting another million or so people on the dole won't help the economy very much.

Not everyone on here is unable to survive without gorging themselves on the public sector teat. Some of us create our own employment.

I hope your own employment is reliant on serving the bankers or politicians, as pretty soon it will only be those leeches that will have the money

I cannot understand how the economy is on the mend when people are losing there jobs left right and centre

I thought unemployment was down on this time last year?

"....The employment rate for those aged from 16 to 64 for the three months to July 2010 was 70.7 per cent, up 0.4 on the quarter. There has not been a larger quarterly increase in the employment rate since the three months to May 1989...."

from here

I thought unemployment was down on this time last year?

"....The employment rate for those aged from 16 to 64 for the three months to July 2010 was 70.7 per cent, up 0.4 on the quarter. There has not been a larger quarterly increase in the employment rate since the three months to May 1989...."

from here

The planned large reductions in the public sector haven't kicked in yet - unemployment will increase rapidly next year.

The planned large reductions in the public sector haven't kicked in yet - unemployment will increase rapidly next year.

I was replying to Billo's post that jobs are being lost left right and centre which,at the moment,isn't true...we'll need to see how many of the public sector workers can find employment in the private side of things I suppose..

I was replying to Billo's post that jobs are being lost left right and centre which,at the moment,isn't true...we'll need to see how many of the public sector workers can find employment in the private side of things I suppose..

I have 5 friends that all worked in the public sector that have lost their jobs and are having a hard time finding new jobs and they tell me that they know people that have also lost their jobs.

And if you believe Government unemployment figures you are a fool.

If the government tell you something they NEVER tell you the whole truth if indeed they tell you the truth at all.

Just go around the city and see how many factories and shop premises are up for sale or to let or pulled down.

You only hear about job losses when it is 100s and 1000s losing their jobs but what about all the small companies that employ 10,20,or 30 people that are laying people off.

The big companies are not taking people on and the small companies are cutting back on staff so common sense tells me that the unemployment figures must be going up not down.

Archived