Longley Park History / Memories

mslotus

Originally posted by "mslotus"

Anyone out there remember the open air pool in Longley Park. I enjoyed many happy days there in '73, '74, 75. It was a great place to meet friends during the summer holidays.

I remember the Pool but I never saw it open. An Empty mess is how I remember it. I am talking about 80's though here, it was probably long gone by then.

I used to go Longley Park Swimming Pool in the Summer holidays and then "climb over" the fence at night eventually get chased round the park by the "Park Patrol", always on a motorbike!!! There was that many of us that he didnt know which one to follow and usually ended up losing all of us. What a laugh - those were definitely the days. :lol:

Yes I do!

Used to go there every Sunday in the summers of 1970s, spent many happy hours there before everything went pear shaped.

It was very popular with people in Sheffield for swimming and sunbathing also it was sheltered and quite pleasant even if a cool wind was blowing.

Although I noticed that some dirty devils never got out of the water to use the toilet, it fair put me off and I eventually stopped going for that reason alone. :(:(:( s

I know just what you mean. I can't ever remember seeing anyone change the water in the pool. Maybe they did it late at night when certain people(mentioning no SHOCKER names) were being chased around the park by the park patrol. They were fun days though.

• 1 month later...

I once went to Longley baths in the 60s as a child and the water was a greeny colour. reading the notes above now i know why.

I prefered Millhouses though but thats another story.

I now live in Longley as i was dragged up, sorry brought up in Pitsmoor which was a nice area in the 60s and that also is another story.

Longley baths however is no longer and its a shame because kids these days don,t have a lot to do.

If Longley baths was to open these days i doubt that it would be treated with respect by this young generation as we appreciated these things in our youth as our parents had more control over there own kids without the do gooders without kids taking old fashion parental control away, and again that is also another story.[/b]

as a boy 1950s i went to carfield school,at that time my uncle was the manager of,heeley baths BROADFIELD ROAD,he trained me up to swim for the school,and i remember swimming a gala at longley swimming pool,on the day the temp wa 49,,many memories(oh by the way i won the race)

Archived