Longley Park History / Memories

mslotus

Guest poppins

I remember we never used the park gate entrance as threre was always the same hole in the fence for years near the bottom of our street, we consdiered that OUR private entrance to the park, wasn't a very good fence, all you had to do was give it a good shove and step on it, it stayed flat for years.

Originally posted by pietro

Kirky, if you mean the full size pitches, then you are at the wrong side of the park. The baths where at the Longley Lane, Crowder Avenue end of the park, near to the bowling green and tennis courts (both still there).

Click on the link below, photo taken last year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/wharncliffe/Copied338.jpg

The baths stood where you can now see the 5-a-side football pitch.

Edited: Just read my post its actually Crowder Road not Avenue.

cheers mate..it must be a bleedin big park coz i never saw that bit on saturday:o

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by MARTINO 1

Anyone please give information on the memorial stone by the stream in Longley Park Sheffield.

Edited out mass use of capitals - Lickszz

I remember the stone from when we used to roam the park in the 50's. It's in memory of a doctor who tended the sick in the Sheffield cholera outbreak, and who died himself from the disease. Can't remember the name though.

Originally posted by pietro

Cycleracer,

Liked that, "I wont hold my breath".

Seriously though, Anyone, If you've not seen it try to get a hold of a copy of:

"A Home of Our Own"

This was published by the Longley and Southey local history group in 1988. They also published an earlier book which I think went under the title of:

"It Was All Fields THen".

Both books give a brief history of the Longley area and there's quite a bit about Longley Park and the baths, including photo's.

I know Southey Library at one time had both books on the shelf.

In the 60's and 70's I was a regular user of the baths, even now the thought brings a shiver to my body, the cold, cold water. BRRRRR

There are still copies around, in fact I borrowed it today from our local library. I'd forgotten most of the things in there. Like there used to be water polo matches between Wednesday and United, captained by Derek Dooley, as well as an annual swimming gala. There's a photo of him leading the team out, and standing next to him is Mr Crookes the park keeper, anyone remember him? I lived on longley for 18 years from the age of 6, and the park was our regular playground. Later we used to fly our model planes in the park, but only gliders were allowed. If you tried to fly one with an engine Mr Crookes would appear from nowhere, resplendent in full uniform complete with peaked cap and tell you in no uncertain terms to clear off. According to the book, the water in the pool was heated by gas and kept as near as possible to 70 degrees. It never felt lie it to me!

Just clicked on the pic of that turn stile and what a startle it gave..The countless number of times my mates and I from Windmill lane have been through there in the 40s. we couldnt wait till it opened for the season even though it usually meant a long walk ( due to lack of funds) great Picture!

Hi all,I too did the midnight dips in longley with a few mates,last time we did it was in 78 when some one was firing a airgun at us.only went at day from then,still remember it as clear as day,those stupid clothes hangers and a arm band and the guy who used to have the brownist body this side of turkey hanging around the tuck shop all day.

Archived