Longley Park History / Memories

mslotus

Guest poppins
Originally posted by algy

I remember the stone from when we used to roam the park in the 50's. It's in memory of a doctor who tended the sick in the Sheffield cholera outbreak, and who died himself from the disease. Can't remember the name though.

I remember the stream, it was full of leaches,(Blood Suckers)

we use to call them.

We spent many hours sitting on the hill trying to meet boys ,watching people swim in that mucky water ! the line was so long rtying to get into the baths on weekends, don't remember seing a life guard back then either, if you got hurn you just ran to the hut and got a plaster.

The tennis courts were out of bounds to us riff raff, only the posh people could play .

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by little malc

Crowder house used to stand where the football ground is now, it was pulled down in the 1930s, part of it straddled where the bottom of Crowland Rd is now. I wonder if any of the strange experiences go back to this? A man comitted suicide sometime between 1950 and 1956 on the edges of the old Firth Park Grammer field and the wood at the top of the hill in the park above the swimming pool.

Crowland House was actually where Crowland Road is now. The first two houses at the side of the park were the start of the driveway to the house. It was planted with beech trees on either side and some of them can still be seen today (or at least they could around the 1980's). On the brow of the hill where the football/cricket changing hut was you could see the furrows in the ground from the vegatable garden that belonged to the house before it was all turned over to the Council. Mr Applewhite who lived in the first house knew a great deal about the history - sadly he is no longer here. He used to have a fridge at the top of his drive selling ice cream in the summer.

Originally posted by mslotus

Anyone out there remember the open air pool in Longley Park. I enjoyed many happy days there in '73, '74, 75. It was a great place to meet friends during the summer holidays.

Went there in the late 50's and 60's. It used to get packed. Then it was the men that did the posing. Showing their muscles off after doing all the body building. I can't remember it being dirty but can remember having lots of fun.

• 6 months later...

Hi! I have just registered to the forum because I read this post and wanted to reply. I live in Longley and my house overlooks the park. (I live on Crowder rd). I was looking for the history of the park and this thread came up. I am only 14 so Iv never seen the swimming pool but I know where it used to be.

Iv got two questions.:

1.Has anybody got, or knows where to get any more information on the Mary Booth story as it is very interesting?

2.I walk my dog nearly everyday in the park and I have never seen a memorial stone near the stream even though I go past every day. Could someone please tell me EXACTLY where it is?

I would be very grateful if you could answer these. Thanks!

Originally posted by Bigbirdssg

Hi! I have just registered to the forum because I read this post and wanted to reply. I live in Longley and my house overlooks the park. (I live on Crowder rd). I was looking for the history of the park and this thread came up. I am only 14 so Iv never seen the swimming pool but I know where it used to be.

Iv got two questions.:

1.Has anybody got, or knows where to get any more information on the Mary Booth story as it is very interesting?

2.I walk my dog nearly everyday in the park and I have never seen a memorial stone near the stream even though I go past every day. Could someone please tell me EXACTLY where it is?

I would be very grateful if you could answer these. Thanks!

Behind the 2 park-keepers' houses there is a short section of stream. It then disappears into a culvert, and there was a memorial stone to a doctor in the retaining wall just before the culvert. I haven't been in the park for 30 years so things may have changed, but it was my stomping ground when I was a kid and lived on the Longley Estate

As algy says take a look in the culvert (the bit that is fenced off) to the left of the stream.

Standing with your back to the path the memorial stone is on your right hand side, right at the very bottom of the wall amongst all the rubbish.

If at first you cant see it, persevere, its very worn.

Originally posted by algy

Behind the 2 park-keepers' houses there is a short section of stream. It then disappears into a culvert, and there was a memorial stone to a doctor in the retaining wall just before the culvert. I haven't been in the park for 30 years so things may have changed, but it was my stomping ground when I was a kid and lived on the Longley Estate

if its the same one im thinking of it is indeed still there

Good news for Longley Park.......some kids from Longley Primary have been in there planting loads of trees in this freezing weather, bless 'em.

Good news for the estate yobs.........there's something else for you to vandalise you scum.

Odds on that they get pulled up and just two left about 8' apart for use as goalposts.

But, at least the 9-10 year olds are trying to do their bit.

Well done to them!:clap:

Archived