Should I work strictly to my job description?

TeaFan

I've worked for Sheffield City Council for the last 3 years, and consistently work above and beyond what's in my job description. I've been happy to do this because I have a strong public service ethos and believe that I should provide a good quality service to the people who use it, and because I like to keep from getting bored, and the complexity of the additional things I do keeps me stimulated.

But lately, what with the incompetent implementing of the pay and grading farce, the likelihood that our terms and conditions are about to be reduced again, years of pay freezes and below cost of living pay rises (all effectively pay cuts), and the fact that public sector workers seem to have taken over from asylum seekers and Muslims as the Cause of Everything That's Wrong, facing impending huge cuts while the bankers who caused the crisis remain unscathed, I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it, and whether I should just stick to what I'm paid to do.

What do people think?

I've worked for Sheffield City Council for the last 3 years, and consistently work above and beyond what's in my job description. I've been happy to do this because I have a strong public service ethos and believe that I should provide a good quality service to the people who use it, and because I like to keep from getting bored, and the complexity of the additional things I do keeps me stimulated.

But lately, what with the incompetent implementing of the pay and grading farce, the likelihood that our terms and conditions are about to be reduced again, years of pay freezes and below cost of living pay rises (all effectively pay cuts), and the fact that public sector workers seem to have taken over from asylum seekers and Muslims as the Cause of Everything That's Wrong, impending huge cuts while the bankers who caused the crisis remain unscathed, I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it, and whether I should just stick to what I'm paid to do.

What do people think?

It'd be very difficult to do so in isolation without making possibly quite uncomfortable waves - are there not colleagues who feel the same and would be prepared to join you?

Going above and beyond your job description is about pride in the job you do. Would you feel the same about yourself if you failed to give the same amount of effort you do now? If you can live with yourself then do what you need to do. But when things turn around and advancement opportunities come back, will the powers that be say "TeaFan only does the minimum but Joe Blow gives that extra bit so he gets the promotion"?

Going above and beyond your job description is about pride in the job you do. Would you feel the same about yourself if you failed to give the same amount of effort you do now? If you can live with yourself then do what you need to do. But when things turn around and advancement opportunities come back, will the powers that be say "TeaFan only does the minimum but Joe Blow gives that extra bit so he gets the promotion"?

I don't really want to advance where I am. I'd rather do my current job very well than a higher up one less well. Plus, the Council wage structure has annual increments (up to 5 per salary scale) instead of performance related pay, and since there is a general and indefinite freeze on people going up an increment, taking a promotion would probably net you about £20 per month, so it's not really worth it unless you're some ambitious career-head, which I'm not.

It's a tricky one. Does anyone appreciate the 'above and beyond' you put in? How would you feel if you stopped it? I had similar issues in my role in the Voluntary Sector. I saw people who were three shades short of useless earn more than me and even when they could be got rid of, nothing was done. Other people were funded to do jobs that were easy and stressless while others were running round trying to cover several roles at the same time.

I think voluntary and public sectors need to be more accountable and I can't understand how all these jobs can be cut and not affect services. A friend was saying how one Local Authority support team is overworked while another is unable to use all the contracted hours that are paid for. Something is not right somewhere.

It's a tricky one. Does anyone appreciate the 'above and beyond' you put in? How would you feel if you stopped it?

The people who use the service tell me they appreciate it, and essentially that's what I go to work for, I think I could be earning quite a bit more in the private sector so it's not really for the money. And I think I'd get bored if I worked to rule, but on the other hand I just feel like I'm being shafted, and that the more I bend over, the harder they'll shaft me.

SCC keep sending emails out and putting up intranet messages saying how they really value everyone, but their actions essentially say '**** off'.

But lately, what with the incompetent implementing of the pay and grading farce, the likelihood that our terms and conditions are about to be reduced again, years of pay freezes and below cost of living pay rises (all effectively pay cuts), and the fact that public sector workers seem to have taken over from asylum seekers and Muslims as the Cause of Everything That's Wrong, facing impending huge cuts while the bankers who caused the crisis remain unscathed, I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it, and whether I should just stick to what I'm paid to do.

What do people think?

You made the fatal mistake of mentioning your an employee of the council, the righty scuum on the forum are bashing your colleagues on another thread.

i would be putting my name down on all the agencies that the council now use when they farming out the workload . this will be the way the council will be employing in the future so get a head start and get your name down now.:thumbsup::hihi:

All new recruits to SCC are on 1 year contracts and have been for a while now. As you have no recourse to an employment tribunal, except for a few special circumstances, in your first year of employment, it's probably cheaper for SCC to hire people on 1 year contracts and then sack them whenever they feel like it, than to pay agency fees.

Still, at least the banking class are still rich, that's the main thing.

All new recruits to SCC are on 1 year contracts and have been for a while now. As you have no recourse to an employment tribunal, except for a few special circumstances, in your first year of employment, it's probably cheaper for SCC to hire people on 1 year contracts and then sack them whenever they feel like it, than to pay agency fees.

Still, at least the banking class are still rich, that's the main thing.

Dear Teafan

Please remember, "We are all in it together".

Some are more in it together than others, however. I suggest that you follow your conscience and feel comfortable with yourself. If that involves working to your job description, fair enough. Eventually, when public services are eroded enough, the worm will turn.

Till then, feel comfy in your own skin. Sleep well at night. And rejoice in the fact that Capitalism died in 2008.

Archived