Should I work strictly to my job description?

TeaFan

And if you are one of the council workmen I have ever met - yes, work within your job description....you may actually do some work then :hihi:

On a serious note, I dont know what to advise - apart from carry on the way you are, you seem happy doing it, so why work to less than your standards and ability and being unhappy about doing it...

Absolutely not. You said that: " consistently work above and beyond what's in my job description. I've been happy to do this because I have a strong public service ethos and believe that I should provide a good quality service to the people who use it..."

I have your word for that (and I've no reason to disbelieve what you say, but you aren't the ideal referee.

If you were to be laid off, (or if you were to jump before you were pushed) then your present boss would probably be the person your prospective employer would write to when looking for a reference.

If you continue working to your present high standards, what sort of reference would you expect to get? (If you are a respected and valued employee, then even if they lay you off they are likely to acknowledge how good you are.)

If, however, you start a 'work to rule"then how long do you thnk it would be before your colleagues (and your boss) start to see you as 'somebody who does the minimum necessary to get by'?

How might that affect the reference you get?

I'm sorry to hear that your job is at risk, Teafan - but now is the time to "look after Number 1"

Look for a new (and hopefully better-paid) job, but whatever you do, don't damage your chances of being offered one. Don't ruin your well-earned reputation of being a conscientious worker who is prepared to do whatever it takes to help people.

'Working strictly within the terms of your contract' might make you feel better - then again, banging your head against a wall might make you feel better (for a while) too - but in the long term, it won't help you.

Your immediate boss is the person who is most likely (in the first instance) to feel the results of your action. (S)he's also the person who will be writing your reference. Is (s)he the person responsible for making you redundant?

I've worked for Sheffield City Council for the last 3 years, and consistently work above and beyond what's in my job description. I've been happy to do this because I have a strong public service ethos and believe that I should provide a good quality service to the people who use it, and because I like to keep from getting bored, and the complexity of the additional things I do keeps me stimulated.

But lately, what with the incompetent implementing of the pay and grading farce, the likelihood that our terms and conditions are about to be reduced again, years of pay freezes and below cost of living pay rises (all effectively pay cuts), and the fact that public sector workers seem to have taken over from asylum seekers and Muslims as the Cause of Everything That's Wrong, facing impending huge cuts while the bankers who caused the crisis remain unscathed, I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it, and whether I should just stick to what I'm paid to do.

What do people think?

If you wish to do so, then make sure you have the support of your Union. Working To Rule is easily better than any strike option, but without your colleagues' help, you are merely ploughing a lone farrow.

We all pick up pieces for colleagues, and they pick up our pieces. They aren't responsible for the irresponsibility of the banks. Think of it that way.

If you wish to do so, then make sure you have the support of your Union...

I couldn't agree more! - But make sure that support extends to finding you a new job should you be made redundant.

Perhaps (If you get made redundant) one of the union executives will give you his job?

I couldn't agree more! - But make sure that support extends to finding you a new job should you be made redundant.

Perhaps (If you get made redundant) one of the union executives will give you his job?

Only if the Union is happy to support a single worker on a Work To Rule, at which point they'd have to consider it.

Yeah, right ;)

You cannot resolve all the injustices in all the systems, but you can make your immediate environment as pleasant and as effective as possible. Knowing that you are doing your best is the best armour against unfair criticism and the best cushion against having work-related anger and resentment taking over your life.

Do you know anyone who takes pride in their work (not the management structure or the pay, but the actual tasks) while working solely to their job description? If you feel that your work is worth doing for the sake of all the people it affects, you already know the answer to your question.

You cannot resolve all the injustices in all the systems, but you can make your immediate environment as pleasant and as effective as possible. Knowing that you are doing your best is the best armour against unfair criticism and the best cushion against having work-related anger and resentment taking over your life.

Do you know anyone who takes pride in their work (not the management structure or the pay, but the actual tasks) while working solely to their job description? If you feel that your work is worth doing for the sake of all the people it affects, you already know the answer to your question.

I second that.

Morale within Council Workers must now be at rock bottom. I bet workers are beside themselves with worry, having their contracts changed again, to lower wages just after a major contract change. Redundantcies on top of that as well.

I agree with the above quote, don't let the negativity of the situation change the level of service you provide to the people you deal with, within your job. I know these words were easy to type, I know the situation a whole lot more than you think.

Teafan, the praise from the users of the service you work / provide in, feed off of that, rather than the maddness going on around you.

Archived