Should I work strictly to my job description?

TeaFan

Hi Teafan i too am employed by SCC and have been with them for 22 years!!! its so disheartning when people critise and give us all bad names,i also give 100% and more,its a worrying time for us all and im gutted i have worked so hard then to be told "well ok keep working but you dont get the increments or a cost of living rise" ????? everything is going up and i certainly dont live the life of luxury just enough to pay bills and maybe a night out once in a while but its going to be tough the next 3 years having to tighten belt again!!! but on the plus side its a job.

Hi Teafan i too am employed by SCC and have been with them for 22 years!!! its so disheartning when people critise and give us all bad names,i also give 100% and more,its a worrying time for us all and im gutted i have worked so hard then to be told "well ok keep working but you dont get the increments or a cost of living rise" ????? everything is going up and i certainly dont live the life of luxury just enough to pay bills and maybe a night out once in a while but its going to be tough the next 3 years having to tighten belt again!!! but on the plus side its a job.

Nothing particular to the public sector there..I haven't had a salary increase for over 2 years now (in the private sector)..the company can't afford it..

I've worked for Sheffield City Council for the last 3 years, and consistently work above and beyond what's in my job description. I've been happy to do this because I have a strong public service ethos and believe that I should provide a good quality service to the people who use it, and because I like to keep from getting bored, and the complexity of the additional things I do keeps me stimulated.

But lately, what with the incompetent implementing of the pay and grading farce, the likelihood that our terms and conditions are about to be reduced again, years of pay freezes and below cost of living pay rises (all effectively pay cuts), and the fact that public sector workers seem to have taken over from asylum seekers and Muslims as the Cause of Everything That's Wrong, facing impending huge cuts while the bankers who caused the crisis remain unscathed, I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth it, and whether I should just stick to what I'm paid to do.

What do people think?

I admire your ethos but....have you considered working somewhere else where the management shows more appreciation for your efforts?

I know what it is like to get caught up in a situation where you know that your work is appreciated by your clients, students etc but not by your line managers. You should really choose for yourself, people who know you will understand and bad line managers will only realize they've lost a good employee after he/she's left. my 2 cents

Nothing particular to the public sector there..I haven't had a salary increase for over 2 years now (in the private sector)..the company can't afford it..

Millions of people haven't had a raise in years. The public sector are used to getting raise every year regardless of how well they perform or how much money is available, they don't call it the gravy train for nothing.

Millions of people haven't had a raise in years. The public sector are used to getting raise every year regardless of how well they perform or how much money is available, they don't call it the gravy train for nothing.

I'm aware of that,just wanted to make sure others were.. :)

Iv worked way above my job description,even taking full control at one stage during an illness.

I put in many unpaid extra hours,without any extra pay or even gratitude.

The upshot has been,im now disilusioned and looking for summat else:help:

If my gaffers reading this,im taking those holidays im owed next week pal,unlike LAST YEAR!!

Archived