How long to get over relationship breakdown?

Been in a relationship for nearly 4 yrs but for one reason or another it has ended,now I was reading that as as rule of thumb you have to give it one month for ever year in the relationship,do you agree with this or is it rubbish.?

Hoooo. Been there so many times.

I guess it depends on how much you've invested, emotionally, into the relationshiop and, perhaps more so, how much the ending of it dented your pride and self respect.

In my adult life I've been seriously knocked back, once to the extent of being signed of work for 3 months, by the ending of relationships but none of those hurts (and still disturbs me to this day) as much as when the 16 year old Tracey Murray ditched the 19 year old me, back in Bolton, in the mid 80s to go back to her previous boyfriend.

:sad::cry::sad::cry::cry::cry:

but none of those hurts (and still disturbs me to this day) as much as when the 16 year old Tracey Murray ditched the 19 year old me, back in Bolton, in the mid 80s to go back to her previous boyfriend.

:sad::cry::sad::cry::cry::cry:

Is that the same Tracey Murray on Facebook who has pictures of herself with her 7 kids by 8 different fathers? ;)

speaking as a modern woman in the 21st century my opinion is that sex in the city is a load of cack

it will take as long as it takes

Speaking as modern 21st century woman, I agree, SATC is a load of <insert expletive>*.

As others have said, there is no rule of thumb although I would be surprised if anyone got over a 4 year relationship within a matter of weeks. A lot depends upon the individual and what stage of life they're at, whether the relationship came to a natural end or its demise was a bolt out of the blue etc.

@steiner, the best thing that you can do for yourself is allow time to grieve, talk about your feelings and do not rush into something new.

*saves esme the trouble of removing a swearword.:D

As i newly single i can tell you it takes minutes.

Don't waste your tears or energy as 99.9% of the time they are just not worth it.

Accept you are feeling sad but then forget about it, life will go on and time will not stand still.

Mourn if you think you need to but put aside 20 minutes per day for it then go out and meet loadsa new people :)

You didn't really get rid of him over the spider in the bath incident did you? :(

Not quite, i had a spider two nights ago on the coving in the living room just near the door to the stairs so i was stranded.

He refused to come and move it :(

Phobias eh :)

Archived