Having your pet neutered

i think pts signature is ment for the ideots out ther that think its a good idea to breed dogs, when ther are so many unwanted.

as for getting them done it is benificial to the health of any animal. iv got 3 dogs 2 of them i got done at a young age the other 1 i decided was 2 old at 10, at 12 i had no choice he had cancer and it was quite bad so off they came but i will never leave another dog that long unless i am going to breed from it, chances are i wont so bye bye boys lol

the reason I have that sig-line, about neutering, though, Megalithic, is that there are so many people who let their dogs breed indiscriminately.

Things like using "wrong" breeds, and not giving thought to bloodlines, and things like temperament and Hip dysplasia. "oh, I'll breed my bitch, I'll make a couple of hundred quid, plus, per pup...!

Firstly, thanks to the mods for creating the thread and moving our posts here.

Ok, yes i understand the reason for PT's sig, and the good intention therein but it does label all us "natural" dog owners under the same umbrella as irresponsible owners.

Look at it this way, man has it in his genes to eat meat for survival, it's what we did for 10's of thousands of years, a little lean meat is good for you, no. ?

Now i'm not advocating going out hunting sparrows and black birds in your gardens, I understand it's not practical or even acceptable to do so but how many of us animal lovers that do eat meat will only eat free range poultry. ?

It's hypocritical on one hand to advocate a totally natural upbringing for one species and yet allow us to tamper with another for our convenience, is it not. ?

Pedantic maybe but a valid point nonetheless.

Ok, i know PT cant put this across in his/her sig but do you understand why it winds me up a little. ?

I think it is about situations. My families dogs that lived on the farm are all entire males there is no need to do them, they are working dogs that will not come in contact with a bitch unless someone is stupid enough to trepass on their land, in that situation I see no need for neutering.

If I have a female dog I would have it neutered everytime just because of ease, less mess and not wanting any unexpected suprises. However I do not always see the need for every male dog to be neutered, if they are living somewhere secure, are well trained so they don't wander off and having their male hormones are not causing any behaviour problems I am happy for them to keep their bits, though I personally choose to neuter as it gets rid of some behaviours and I prefer the look of a dog with no bits :lol: completely selfish reasons really.

As for the health implications, it's great that neutering has positive health implications but I have to agree with megalithic that it is a bit of a none arguement (more of a positive side effect of the neutering), as there is lots of medical procedures you could but an animal/ person through that would reduce the risk of some diseases but you would not do them for that reason. It would be like having a females breasts removed just incase they get breast cancer, which the vast majority of the population will not get.

I am for neutering but also think that responsible owners can also own none neutered dogs and not have any accidents.

I'm all in favour of neutering basically 'cos i can't see the need to run the risk of illness just for the sake of keeping them "natural". I'd rather pay £80 for speying than the several hundreds i paid for emergency work due to pyrometria. BUT thats just my opinion.

Furthermore in support of Megalith simply haven't a neutered dog doesn't make you responsible.

Just to pick up on Megalithic's insurance point.

A few years ago we nearly lost a bitch with Pyometra, she had never been spayed but we never had an intention to breed her either. She was insured. A loop in the insurance meant they did not cover the emergency operation she required because we had not spayed her, we had no choice but to pay over £300 for the op. After the op she got an infection and with the antibiotics etc etc that cost us almost £100.

Insurance can be brill but as we found to our expense if they can get out of it they will and as if nearly loosing Pen was not enough finding almost £500 for the vet bills was not an easy task.

All our others were spayed within the month after that episode, almost loosing Pen and watching her suffering was not something we wanted to do again.

I understand your principles and nature may have intended your animal to stay intact but it could also intend for them to suffer terribly because you dont realise they have pyometra/cancer etc etc until it is too late.

Just my thoughts.

I will say tho that I also dont agree that not neutering makes you irresponsible. There are other reasons not to do it but I dont agree they are all irresponsible.

Sorry also off topic but neutering is not just about preventing breeding it helps to prevent mammory tumours, pyometra and testicular cancer to name a few. Bitchs are less likely to suffer phantom pregnancies and males can generally be more relaxed and sociable with others. Neutering is a responsible decision even for breeders once a dog is no longer being used in this manner.

Says someone who's been conditioned by the Veterinary society as a whole...

To clarify: some dogs do get cancer, some DO get Pyometra... Some do die young, while others live to be 20.

ALL dogs need to be entire to compete in the showring.

I had my bitch spade a couple of years ago and nearly lost her in the process.

Not all people who choose not to spay are inresponsible and tbh i took a little offence at your sig too :)

Archived