Bomber which crashed in Concord

Bikertec

I found this regarding a crashed ww2 bomber.

"A Hampden bomber which crashed in Concord Park on April 19th, 1941, was completely smashed and burned out. Of its crew of two, one was killed and the other injured. From the scant information available it appears that the Hampden P1248 hit a barrage-balloon cable, presumably killing the observer/navigator - Pilot Officer J.B. Ranson, and then crashed. The pilot, Pilot Officer Allsebrook, escaped by parachute. Enquiries in the Park area, however, have failed to provide impact site for either incident". But there seems to be some mention of a lancaster also ditching in concord park.:confused: Any more info would be helpful.

The sad loss of the Hampden has been mentioned on other threads here (I think it may have been in one about the Mi Amigo Flying Fortress that tragically crashed in Endcliffe Park). Never heard of a Lancaster 'ditching' here though. (Note - 'Ditching' is RAF slang for a forced landing over water). Other people may be able to help more but I would have thought I would have heard about it if it had happened (local sad military history anorak...).

Could there be some confusion with the loss of the Flying Fortress? Just a thought.

Ok so I was intrigued by what you had written so I did a little digging...

And I came up with this

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/sheffplanecrashesww2.htm

I've seen the site before but forgotten about it. In it you'll see that a second plane did come down in Concord Park. But it was another Hampden and was able to take off again under its own power.

Also that appears to be the site your quote originally comes from.

I found this regarding a crashed ww2 bomber.

"A Hampden bomber which crashed in Concord Park on April 19th, 1941, was completely smashed and burned out. Of its crew of two, one was killed and the other injured. From the scant information available it appears that the Hampden P1248 hit a barrage-balloon cable, presumably killing the observer/navigator - Pilot Officer J.B. Ranson, and then crashed. The pilot, Pilot Officer Allsebrook, escaped by parachute. Enquiries in the Park area, however, have failed to provide impact site for either incident". But there seems to be some mention of a lancaster also ditching in concord park.:confused: Any more info would be helpful.

i only remember a tiger moth landing in concord park

and i left shiregreen school in 1944

and i was still at school when that landed

• 1 year later...

Bikertec, very strange this one as I picked up on the very same incident a couple of nights back. Someone very insistant on me having to know the fire power of a Spitfire and the words wildcat constantly being repeated. My own research states that the shiregreen cemetry lodge was used as the barrage baloon place?

I never realised that we are so close to the anniversary of this and only looked on here through desperation and lack of info. It seems the unfortunate one is trying desperately to gain peace by letting me know. The house actually backs onto the park and he's not the first who came visiting. x

The sad loss of the Hampden has been mentioned on other threads here (I think it may have been in one about the Mi Amigo Flying Fortress that tragically crashed in Endcliffe Park). Never heard of a Lancaster 'ditching' here though. (Note - 'Ditching' is RAF slang for a forced landing over water). Other people may be able to help more but I would have thought I would have heard about it if it had happened (local sad military history anorak...).

Could there be some confusion with the loss of the Flying Fortress? Just a thought.

i only remember a tiger moth landing in concord park round about 1942 went in the park to look at itit was before i left school in 1944

Archived