Does anyone remember the blind guy outside Suggs

Busliboy

He used to sell matches, I think his name was "knocker"

If it is the same guy I'm thinking of, he used to sell lavender too. Although he was blind, he knew his coins and was no mug! You could try to give him a dud - a foreign coin - but he would know instantly. I guess he has been gone a while now, so God rest his soul.

• 2 weeks later...

( Knocker ) used to stand at the top of Suggs arcade like people have stated selling matches, lavender bags & shoe laces anybody remember the old El Mambo cafe at the other end of the arcade Union st side Johnny Fanthams hairdressers & Barney Goodmans gents outfitters in the arcade .

Yes, him and his mate trying to see you cheap pens that he claimed were for "charity"!

A nasty piece of work conning money from young people who were too embarrassed to tell him where to push his pens.

Used to go in the pub and pay with all the loose change.

He died a few years ago ,

( Knocker ) used to stand at the top of Suggs arcade like people have stated selling matches, lavender bags & shoe laces ..... anybody remember Barney Goodmans gents outfitters in the arcade.
Yep - here's a photo showing the entrance to the Cambridge Arcade but I can't see Knocker; maybe he's behind the van..:)

• 10 months later...
( Knocker ) used to stand at the top of Suggs arcade like people have stated selling matches, lavender bags & shoe laces anybody remember the old El Mambo cafe at the other end of the arcade Union st side Johnny Fanthams hairdressers & Barney Goodmans gents outfitters in the arcade .

Only a set of nutcases would have demolished that arcade another Sheffield landmark gone!

P.S. Any photo,s any one.

Archived