Review: Wasabisabi, London Rd

fridayfeelin

Having visited Wasabisabi a few times, I was always impressed until I discovered another sushi restaurant further down London Rd. Since then I hadn't been back to Wasabisabi. However, I decided on a change this time and visited wasabisabi again last weekend, I was really looking forward to it but boy did I regret it and I won't be visiting it again.

My partner rang up and booked a table 2 hours before we visited, we arrive and notice the place wasn't as full as it usually looks, now I know why. We sit down and are given wine and drinks menus. After deciding what to drink the waitress came and asked, we replied we would like 2 champagne bellini's, she then told us 'We have no drinks licence, but you could've brought your own' to which we replied 'oh when we booked we weren’t told and no one informed us when we were handed the drinks menu', the waitress was apologetic and we ordered 2 lychee juices.

We ordered maki sushi, 2 bento boxes and some tempura prawns. The prawns and maki came, the prawns were nice but the tempura wasn't as light as usual, it had more of a 'normal batter' taste rather than a tempura taste. I was baffled over the sloppy presentation of the maki, it had been cut to different sizes so didn't look uniform like it is supposed to, the rice wasn't neat, the filling looked squashed and the tobiko on top looked as if it had just been thrown over it, when picked up the whole thing fell apart, as an avid sushi addict I was appalled and wasn't impressed, my partner ate the whole lot as he was complaining how hungry he was. My own first attempt at making maki was better than this!

Before I had finished chewing the sushi waitress had come over to take our plates away so i pointed at my mouth and said 'sorry I haven't finished yet', to which she replied 'ok' then stood and watched us and came straight back to clear up.

The bento boxes came and the duck I had was delicious but I couldn't say the same for the prawns I had ordered in it, they were rubbery and not nice to look at. Again, before I had finished the waitress was stood by me waiting for me to finish! I found this highly rude and the feeling of being rushed was there again. We asked for the bill and escaped out of the door! I won't be visiting Wasabisabi again as the food was poor, presentation was sloppy and the service was rushed and rude.

That's a shame, I was there just over a week ago and it was as good as ever (had been several times before and had always been impressed). When I booked the guy on the phone did tell me they had no licence at the moment and that we'd need to bring our own, which we did. Tempura, noodles, maki and sashimi were all as good as usual.

I've been loads of times but the last time it was just a bit less fantastic, and I'm sure the big boat of sushi had quite a bit less on it than the time before.

The soft-shelled crab was still fabulous though.

I would be soooooo disappointed if this place was to turn bad. I love it there! Bit strange re the licence though.

Apparently they are changing their licence over and it will take a couple of weeks. Like I said, I was warned on the phone when I booked, so we were prepared!

Seems just I got a bum deal there this time. I will be sticking to Yama Sushi from now on though as imo Yama is better quality, presentation, value for money etc....than Wasabisabi!

Yama is much nicer, and about 1/3 of the price too.

And better quality and fresher food, I could go on!

Wasabisabi lovers: do try Yama!!

Archived