Kickboxing OR Freestyle Karate?

Freddylee

Ok here is what a lot of thsoe "kickboxin" clubs say

karate guys got frustrated with the limitations of soft contact levels and wanted to hit each other for real

Right?

1. Contact levels

2. Hit each other for real

what does that say to you?

FULL contact!

and the same clubs that try and sell what they do as kickboxing,

they wont even DREAM of teaching full contact techniques or full contact fighting.

The club i attend DO

http://www.sheffieldkickboxing.com

the leading kickboxing orgnaisations

e.g. WKA, WAKO-pro , ISKA, WKU and WKN

all want to distance themselves from semi contact point karate

as the style the tehcniques, the mothodology the trainign methods the stance are totally difference.

Example:

Kickboxing combo=

Jab cross Hoook

Semi cotnact combo=

Backfist reverse punch rdigehand

Kickboxing combo=

Jab cross to the head, Roundhouse to the body usin shin (with pwoer)

semi contact combo=

backfist to head reverse punch to body froudnhosue to ehad (usin a flick action without power , with less pwoer than a jab!)

I think this answers your question garryn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickboxing

To summarise:

The term kickboxing is disputed... the public uses the term generically to refer to [a number of] martial arts.

Kickboxing has its roots in Muay Thai, Savate and Karate. It was developed as a competitive sport by Japanese boxing promotor Osamu Noguchi. Muay Thai fighters were taken to Japan in 1966, and helped to develop a combined martial art which Noguchi named kick-boxing. When used by the practioners of these styles, it tends to refer to them specifically rather than the martial arts they were derived from.

But, it is a fairly generic term. Maybe the distinctions full contact and semi contact kickboxing would make a more accurate division between two very different styles.

crayfish

the encyclopeida you show has no mention of any stlye that resmbles "tiggy on the mats"

If by "semi contact kickboxing" you mean light continuous or "continuous sparring " then i do tolerate that as i have had a go at that system myself.

It is a diluted version of "american kickboxing" or "full contact"

Semi contact "hit with a back fist then fall on the floor and wait for a point to be called" has no application towards rin sport combat.

Yeah, get it now.

Suppose its one of the problems when something gets popular. Everyone wants a piece of the pie and ties what they're doing into it. You end up with a needle in a haystack situation trying to find a genuine club.

We seen it with Kickboxing, we're seeing it happen with BJJ. The legit ninjutsu guys are still trying to shake of the legacy of the 80's with dodgy films and people putting on a black gi and flogging 'ninjutsu'. They've even stuck the term ninjutsu into the background and gone 'taijutsu'

The BJJ community is still relatively small, so although there aren't that many clubs it's normally easy to tell a genuine BJJ club through it's affiliation. Also, to get a belt in BJJ you are graded by a BJJ blackbelt, and up until recently there haven't been any UK BJJ blackbelts (there are now a few), so that should help to maintain a standard of sorts.

also, many graded players in a local area are familiar with each other, either through attending seminars/gradings, or through training at different clubs. Again this makes it difficult for someone to suddenly appear with a blue belt for example, unless of course they're coming from overseas.

Freddy, about the kickboxing. I'm quite ignorant re: the rules and different types, but i recently saw a couple of poists on another forum. The first said that he thought kickboxing had rules that banned kick below the waist and that there was a minimum no. of kicks that had to be 'thrown' (?) each round. The second poster said that he thought these rules had been abolished in the 1980s. I was wondering what the score is there? which (if any) is correct?

cheers

Hi Anvil

there are two main systems of kickboxing:

1.One system called "Full contact" also called american kickboxing.

This style you wear Long satin bottoms and padded boots and can only kick above the belt.

Some of our guys fiht this style becoz they run/play footy/ need to walk the enxt day or becoz theyre from a boxing background and cudnt be arsed to condition their shins.

2. theres what they used to call "kickboxin rules" or "international rules"

sometimes called K-1 sometimes called superlaegue and soemtiems just called low kick

You fiht in shorts and you can kick to the legs (usin the bare shin) and soemtimes even knees with a limited clinch.

The 2nd format is most popular in europe and japan

over here tho if you say kickboxing they mean the first oen mopstly

At AFK :

http://www.sheffieldkickboxing.com we prac tsie both.

oh forgot to mentionm, just as a example

contrast ebtween 2 of our instructors:

Farhad Ali :

He holds a Title Belt or Two in the 2nd system (which is dead wierd that he chosoes to fiht in low kick rules as he is a really fast high kicker!), he wont figght the above the belt system anymore either (strange but true :P)

Andy Lacey:

Has doen low kick a couple of times, but most of his bouts were full contact rules and he went the distance TWICE with WKN world heavyweight champ Simon Dore (who has even fought in K-1 japan)

Hope BJJ doesn't suffer from the same problems other areas have had. Only problem is as interest rises theres more people start wanting a slice of the pie.

How many health clubs/gyms now offer 'kickboxing' (looks like I'm backing up freddie here?) classes and when you investigate further find its not much more than aerobics as the instructors have been told to turn it down due to insurance purposes and their members don't actually want to get hit!

Archived