New driving test!

As if it's not hard enough already!

Now drivers are expected to memorise a set of instructions from the examiner, for example...

"take the next left, then your second right, straight on at the first roundabout, then 3rd exit at the next roundabout."

How this is supposed to make anyone a better driver, I don't know! No wonder there was a mad rush of drivers trying to pass before this silly introduction!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the government are just trying to get more money from learner drivers??

I know that there are some bad drivers on the road, but making the test harder isn't going to stop idiots driving like mad men once they have passed their test!!

Now drivers are expected to memorise a set of instructions from the examiner, for example...

"take the next left, then your second right, straight on at the first roundabout, then 3rd exit at the next roundabout."

How this is supposed to make anyone a better driver, I don't know! No wonder there was a mad rush of drivers trying to pass before this silly introduction!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the government are just trying to get more money from learner drivers??

I know that there are some bad drivers on the road, but making the test harder isn't going to stop idiots driving like mad men once they have passed their test!!

As if the Condems would ever try to rip people off!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

The Cons have only been doing it since 1066!:loopy:

A few things to note:-

You are not more likely to fail, the new parts of the test are not even marked

So there's nothing to worry about, provided you drive safely.

The examiner will ask you to park the car and then will give you up to 3 directions to follow such as "Take the next left, 2nd right then 3rd right".

If you can't remember three turns, how do you plan to negotiate your way around a new area, on your own :confused:

They may alternatively just ask you to drive to the nearest train station or an area of the city which will be sign posted.

No offence, but anyone who can't follow a few road signs, isn't ready to be driving unaccompanied.

These changes are applicable to nearly all practical tests from Monday, not just car tests. I would urge anyone unsure about what will be happening as from Monday to watch the DSA's own video on You-Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQRl3zkkOgg&feature=channel

I was at a meeting on Wednesday with about 100 other instructors to hear directly from one of the DSA's senior regional representatives what is changing and how the examiners will conduct the tests. The concerns raised echo partly the above comments about having to memorise a route. However, I tend to agree with those that would argue that post test this is what drivers have to be able to do and as such have taught this style even before the changes were introduced. In addition, the DSA has taken the decision to withdraw all test routes from being available online. This will give the examiners more scope to vary routes and prevent candidates from learning by rote where particular routes go.

Candidates will be required to either follow a route by observing road directions, for example: "follow the A61 towards Barnsley......now follow the directions to Ecclesfield", or they will be given 3 or 4 (no more than 4) verbal directions followed by a similar number by means of a stick man type diagram. The candidate will be asked to pull over after the first combination then given the second route, the examiner will not give this type of route whilst the candidate is driving. This is typical of the scenario lets say when you pull up to ask someone directions if you become lost. You may not remember every single turn they say for the next 2 miles, so you pull up after a while and ask someone else.

Also, from 4/10/10, the DSA will require candidates to perform only one reversing manoeuvre, e.g. a left reverse, turn in the road or a parking exercise. To satisfy EU legislation that requires candidates to have performed two exercises, the existing angled start, moving away from behind a parked vehicle, will now be classed as the second manoeuvre.

As was the case until today, if you are not sure of the route, ask the examiner to confirm where you think you should be going. If you have misunderstood or have forgotten and he believes he can correct this without compromising safety, he will do so.

These changes are applicable to nearly all practical tests from Monday, not just car tests. I would urge anyone unsure about what will be happening as from Monday to watch the DSA's own video on You-Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQRl3zkkOgg&feature=channel

I was at a meeting on Wednesday with about 100 other instructors to hear directly from one of the DSA's senior regional representatives what is changing and how the examiners will conduct the tests. The concerns raised echo partly the above comments about having to memorise a route. However, I tend to agree with those that would argue that post test this is what drivers have to be able to do and as such have taught this style even before the changes were introduced. In addition, the DSA has taken the decision to withdraw all test routes from being available online. This will give the examiners more scope to vary routes and prevent candidates from learning by rote where particular routes go.

Candidates will be required to either follow a route by observing road directions, for example: "follow the A61 towards Barnsley......now follow the directions to Ecclesfield", or they will be given 3 or 4 (no more than 4) verbal directions followed by a similar number by means of a stick man type diagram. The candidate will be asked to pull over after the first combination then given the second route, the examiner will not give this type of route whilst the candidate is driving. This is typical of the scenario lets say when you pull up to ask someone directions if you become lost. You may not remember every single turn they say for the next 2 miles, so you pull up after a while and ask someone else.

Also, from 4/10/10, the DSA will require candidates to perform only one reversing manoeuvre, e.g. a left reverse, turn in the road or a parking exercise. To satisfy EU legislation that requires candidates to have performed two exercises, the existing angled start, moving away from behind a parked vehicle, will now be classed as the second manoeuvre.

As was the case until today, if you are not sure of the route, ask the examiner to confirm where you think you should be going. If you have misunderstood or have forgotten and he believes he can correct this without compromising safety, he will do so.

In other words the government is trying to screw more money out of learner drives as was stated previously.;)

Hard enough?Are you kidding?

The test is actually alot easier currently than it has been in years.It used to be that you would be tested on set exercises,you dont any more,just 2!

I would retest EVERYONE every ten years and make it a proper test not the kids stuff it is today.

Archived