New driving test!

Candidates will be required to either follow a route by observing road directions, for example: "follow the A61 towards Barnsley......now follow the directions to Ecclesfield", or they will be given 3 or 4 (no more than 4) verbal directions followed by a similar number by means of a stick man type diagram.

I'd have never passed my test under this regime, I still get lost or never follow the same route twice trying to get home!

I think independent driving is an excellent idea, too many people seem to have no idea how to follow road signs and lane markings properly. All they have to do currently is memorise some set routes which is totally inadequate if you ask me. Shouldn't make it any harder to pass, people will just need to do a bit of practise at it, which they should be doing anyway.

Hard enough?Are you kidding?

The test is actually alot easier currently than it has been in years.It used to be that you would be tested on set exercises,you dont any more,just 2!

I would retest EVERYONE every ten years and make it a proper test not the kids stuff it is today.

Just as a matter of interest.... When did you pass your test? Have you taken one a long time ago, and then another one recently? How do you compare the two? - or are you an examiner?

Where are you going to get the examiners, not to mention test slots, to conduct 3 million+ tests per year :confused:

Well it will create more work but not enough to actually show a reduction in unemployment and if people are not allowed to drive until they have retaken a test then it will get vehicles off the road. See it is logical government thinking, they cut emissions and get cars off the road while reducing unemployment.:hihi:

In real life drivers have to follow directions or signs on a very regular basis; why should a test not replicate a bit of reality?

Anybody who cannot concentrate on obeying up to 3 directions whilst also driving safely really shouldn't have a driving licence anyway.

I'd have never passed my test under this regime, I still get lost or never follow the same route twice trying to get home!

Don't I know it.:D

Personally, I think that it's a good idea as (Sat Nav aside) will drivers always have someone seated next to them giving them directions?

My understanding is that learner drivers are to be given an instruction to drive from A to B. Assuming that most people learn to drive where they live and, therefore, should know the area, what is the problem?

I don't see the point of this really, if they want independent driving they should give you five minutes to drive wherever you want without instructions (obviously excluding motorways, Mcdonalds drive throughs etc...)

The test is enough panic trying to get everything right without having a memory test at the same time!

Archived