Can anyone tell me why there is no history on the web about Lowedges?

shefflasfema

Why is there no history on Lowedges?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Why is there no history on Lowedges?

• Is there enough information on Lowedges Sheffield on the web?
    • Do we learn enough about our local towns from the internet?
    • Is there more the locals can do to make their home towns more popular to outsiders?

Lowdges was built and the first houses moved into in 1953 I used to live in one of them back then. The park was built afterwards and for years it was just fields there.(as kids we had so much more fun when it was fields).The school opened in 1956 I think as when I first started I had to go to Greenhill school. It was called Bradway County Primary School not Lowedges School when it opened and the head in the infants was Miss Vick and the head in the juniors was Miss Clark. Some of the teachers there were

Mr Beeson, Mr Roberts, Miss White, Miss Daniels, Mr Walsh. The caretakers name was Mr Oldfield.

There was no bus onto Lowedges then and you either got a tram to 1/2way on Meadowhead or got the Chesterfield bus to the Norton Hotel. When they first ran onto Lowedges they only went as far as the first shops and turn round was at the roundabout in the middle of the school.

The church was called the congregational church and was just the small building right on the corner the other part was built years after. The shop on the end was an old disabled guy called Mr Martin and when he first was up there all he had was a little trailer which he used to pull behind his 3 wheeler invalid carrige and he moved round the estate.

Good Luck with your searching If I think of anything else I will post again.

I don't know whether this is too far away, but between 1915 and 1920 there was a Royal Flying Corp flying training airfield and landing strip at Coal Aston just south of the present Norton Lane/Bochum Parkway junction. It eventually grew quite extensive and covered a large area surrounding the modern 4 lane ends roundabout at Meadowhead .Between March & October 1916 it was used for night flights by aircraft protecting the industrial areas of South Yorkshire from Zeppelin raids. After that it converted to a site carrying out repairs to aircraft and eventually became No2 (Northern) Aircraft Repair Depot. It acquired many buildings used as hangars, workshops, stores , messes, offices, recreation, a church and accommodation for both men and women. It even had its own light railway. Towards the end of the war it was used as a prisoner of war camp. In the early 1920's the City Council were interested in acquiring the site as a civil airfield, but it was eventually sold in 1922.

Reply to spyro2000:

Thank you to spyro2000 for the pictures of the Grennel Mower pub and the Magpie pub on Lowedges.

The flats in the background of the Grennel Mower are no longer there due to being demolished a few years ago. Its good to have a photo of them!

Does anyone else have any photos of Lowedges?

:D

• 1 year later...
Can anyone tell me why there is no history on the web about Lowedges? I am very interested in learning about the place, but I am finding it difficult to learn any history at all! I would appreciate it if someone could tell me as much as they can regarding when Lowedges was founded and when it first appeared on maps etc...

Someone once told me it has references to the Barlow hunt. They refered to it as the place with 'low hedges'. You can buy a book 'can't remember title' that explains why all places in sheffield are called what they are.

Crikey! the two pubs look almost identical, (Apart from the extension built on one) right down to the white panel down the right hand side of the building between the windows!

Archived