Can anyone tell me why there is no history on the web about Lowedges?

shefflasfema

Why is there no history on Lowedges?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Why is there no history on Lowedges?

• Is there enough information on Lowedges Sheffield on the web?
    • Do we learn enough about our local towns from the internet?
    • Is there more the locals can do to make their home towns more popular to outsiders?

Fairbanks 1804 map shows some interesting names of the Low Edges fields.

Middle and Far Kirkhill, Daisy Lands, Square Low Edge, Low Nook, Clot Meadow, Crimbles,

Upper Tippet Heath, Thistly Hole, Rushy Field, Gorsey Row and many others !

Clearly marked is a path which appears to begin near to the present St Peters Church and runs along the line of Reaney and Edmund Avenue's finishing at Bradway Road.

The fields were owned by a number of different people, Jos Wainwright, John Lupton, John Birtles, Henry Wainwright, Wm Linley, Eliz Rhodes, Isaac and Nancy Biggin, Hannah Hall and Wm Webster.

Fairbanks 1804 map shows some interesting names of the Low Edges fields.

Middle and Far Kirkhill, Daisy Lands, Square Low Edge, Low Nook, Clot Meadow, Crimbles,

Upper Tippet Heath, Thistly Hole, Rushy Field, Gorsey Row and many others !

Clearly marked is a path which appears to begin near to the present St Peters Church and runs along the line of Reaney and Edmund Avenue's finishing at Bradway Road.

The fields were owned by a number of different people, Jos Wainwright, John Lupton, John Birtles, Henry Wainwright, Wm Linley, Eliz Rhodes, Isaac and Nancy Biggin, Hannah Hall and Wm Webster.

1804?! Fantabulous! That explains where Lupton Road and Drive got their names then!

I love the names of the individual fields!

As a child in 1950 can remember the houses been built, we used to play on the building site. The area wasnt know as low edges at the time only the cricket field at four lane ends was their.

When I got married in St Peters hall the new church was just being built. Think there are some photos of the area at that time August 1964. The vicarage has them now perhaps you could get some info from them.

My dad was telling me recently that he recalled when the family first moved onto the estate, him, his brothers and his mates used to wind up the watchmen employed on the estate to protect the building materials as work was ongoing.

• 2 years later...
My dad was telling me recently that he recalled when the family first moved onto the estate, him, his brothers and his mates used to wind up the watchmen employed on the estate to protect the building materials as work was ongoing.

Poor watchmen!!! That sounds interesting though!!!! x

P.S I cant imagine the look of the place whilst building was going on, its just hard to imagine!!!!!!!!! xxxx

Archived