Manchester airport security scanners, now compulsory, men see women naked !

It is a funny thing, the human condition.

Airport authorities want to bombard us with electromagnetic radiation, to make sure that the planes are safe. We respond by worrying that a stranger might get to see a rather fuzzy image of our naked selves.

I'd be much more concerned about the effect of the radiation upon my body... except for the fact that I'm terrified of flying:)

If anyone wants to see my bits, just ask... the images come with a disclaimer though.

If you want me to go 30 000 feet up in a metal tube, forget it.

I don't mind it, other than the fact there have already been abuses, including some images finding their way onto the internet via an operators mobile phone taking pictures of the scan.

It's been the same with camera photos at Boots (etc) for years and no one kicks up a fuss about that.

I think the company employing viewers should exercise some caution in their choice of employee, but that's about as far as it goes.

When was the last time a plane blew up?

Lockerbie which was 1988, that's 22 years ago.

I imagine the scans are also intended to stop people taking guns/knives/ninja death stars onto planes to be used to hijack them ?

Possibly due to increased security measures.

If the increased security measures since Lockerbie prevented any planes being blown up then why are they increasing them again with the new whole body X-ray machines?

Because things have moved on and increased baggage security means the chance of a getting a bomb in the hold is small so terrorists are resorting to suicide bombers carrying things on to planes.

And it's admitted that the use of these scanners wouldn't have detected the recent bomb attempts. Luckily they were planned and carried out by incompetents. I suppose it's hard to find an intelligent suicide bomber.

Archived